Summit SMaSH-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazultav

Reaction score
For my second recipe I want to try something SMaSH-ish.

I'm interested in the tangerine summit supposedly gives at the end of the boil. I plan on spreading the 2 oz out over the whole boil ala 60min.

Summit IPA - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.0%
Bitterness: 117.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 8.000 lb No Yes 95% 8 L
Biscuit Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 79% 23 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Summit 17.0% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr 36.9
Summit 17.0% 0.500 oz Boil 45.000 min 33.9
Summit 17.0% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min 28.4
Summit 17.0% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min 18.3
Summit 17.0% 0.500 oz Dry Hop 168.000 hr 0.0

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - American Ale II Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

the biscuit is in there because I have some around.
What does everyone (anyone) think?

IMHO, 45mins is useless (no flavor and under utilized) and 30mins is nearly useless (maybe a little flavor). If you want more flavor, I'd move those adds to 10 and 5 instead.

I'm not going to be doing discrete hop charges per say. I'm interested in a 60 min continuous hop.

continuously hoped a la 60 min IPA from Dogfish Head. Instead of a bitter, flavor and armoma hop charge you slowly add all of it throughtout the entire boil.

I'm pretty sure the DFH60 adds more hops at the end. Do you plan on keeping a steady pace the whole way or adding at a higher rate towards the end of the boil?

Thanks dcp.

Im thinking maybe 2 oz over the length of the boil, 1 oz at flameout and 1 oz dry hop after primary finished up.

Sounds like it should be good. I'd say do that or start a second continuous add over the last 15mins with the 3rd oz.

fantastic. Have you been to any LHBS? I know of Modern Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge and Beer and Wine Hobby in Woburn. Anything so far I've ordered online.

I'll have to let you know how the summit turns out.

Latest posts

Back