Not getting the color I need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
I've only brewed two batches so far (one extract +specialty, and one partial mash), and I feel like I'm not getting the color out of the specialty grains that I should be. My first beer was a Black IPA, and after steeping the grains the color was jet black, just as I expected. I even poured some into a cup to taste it and ensure the color was on, and it looked great. After the brew (full boil, 5 gallon batch) I noticed that the color had lightened. I attributed this to the fact that there was so much stuff swirling around in the pot reflecting light, etc. After bottling, the beer is still not as black as I have seen some others of this style. My second batch was a recipe from ChshreCat for a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Again, this looked great after the partial mash and looked good going into primary. I racked it to secondary on Monday, and the color seems to be brown now. The flavor of both of these has been good, but I did use distilled water for both of them instead of spring. Anyone know why the colors would be off? Here are the grains in each brew so far, maybe I just need to add more:

Black IPA:
1 lb Carafa III
1 lb Crystal 60

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout:
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
0.82 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.21 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.14 %

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

:mug:

You need to post the full recipes for an evaluation. There is nothing in the kettle that will "reflect light" and lighten the color. 1lb of Carafa III with 5 or 500lbs of malt extract will be jet black.

(mostly) ChshreCat's recipe from the recipe section ( I changed the hops and the yeast in this one):

Brew Type: Partial Mash
Style: Stout
Brewer: BBD Brewing
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
0.82 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.21 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.14 %
2.00 oz Willamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
WLP001 Yeast
9oz cocoa powder [last 10 mins of boil]
2 Vanilla Bean [split and added to secondary]

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 SRM
Bitterness: 38.2 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.80 %

Black IPA recipe:
5 gallon batch

9 lb Light DME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Carafa III
2 oz. Chinook - 60 min.
2 oz. Simcoe - 10 min.
2 oz. Amarillo - 10 min.
1 oz. each Simcoe and Amarillo - Dry Hop in secondary
Wyeast 1056

I'm not too obsessed about color, just want to get it right in case I ever decide to brew something to style. Will the black color from roasted barley and carafa "cook out" during the boil?

Try some black patent(500 SRM)... I just did a Schwarz Ale and that sucker is coal dust dark. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it was only like 4oz for a 9.5lb grain bill. Other than that, check you grind, and maybe try a decoction on the specialty grains...

Back