Autumn Seasonal Beer Plaid Pumpkin Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
My wife loves this beer! I can\'t have a pint to myself if she\'s home. When I first s
Grains:
1 lb 6-Row
2 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Crystal 40L
4 oz Chocolate malt
3 oz flaked wheat

2.75 pounds Extra Light DME

Hops:
1 oz Fuggle hop pellets, 60 min boil

Misc:
45 oz organic canned pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg
1 vanilla bean

Process:
Roast pumpkin in oven at 350* for 30 minutes (important: let pumpkin cool before using it in mash; 350* pumpkin added to the mash raises the mash temp significantly)
Mash all grains and pumpkin in 3 gallons of water at 155*
Sparge with 2 gallons at 170*
Bring wort to boil, add DME, return to boil
Add Fuggle hops, boil for 60 minutes
Add all cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg at flameout
Bring to room temp, top off to 5.5 gallons with clean, sterile water (a lot of volume will be lost in the trub, so this will still get you about 5 gallons of finished beer)
Pitch yeast

Fermentation schedule:
Primary ferment at about 60* for seven days
Rack into secondary on top of one vanilla bean for 14 days (cut open vanilla bean and soak in vodka a few days prior to using; add the entire bean and the vodka into secondary)
Add 5 oz (by weight) of corn sugar just prior to bottling
Bottle condition for 3+ weeks.

When I first tried this beer after 3 weeks in the bottle, I thought the spice flavor was too strong. A couple more weeks in the bottle and the flavors mellowed beautifully.

Enjoy!:mug:

Which yeast did you use for this? Something clean like WLP001 or US-05, or something more British like 002 or 004 to add some esters?

Sounds yummy!

Thanks, didn't even know that one existed (obviously never done a Scottish Ale before)! They have quite the wide temp range listed (55-75)... What temp have you found works best for fermentation?

I usually shoot for middle of whatever range. I ferment in my basement, which this time of year is in the mid 60's.

Back