comparison of first brew and second

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailman

Reaction score
racked our second brew today... thought id share a comparison pic for you..

i thought that my beer was pretty light until i compared it with the 2nd which was suppose to be a pretty light beer.

there was a definate difference in the taste.. the second was really light and sweet...pretty much what she was shooting for.. after tasting mine and being used to tasting more american style beers and am partial to them.. it was really very good..

i think we will be happy with it

the second brew is on the left and the first is on the right.. 2nd racked into carboy today.. 1st racked into carboy on sunday

wlzu5t.jpg

wlzua9.jpg

in comparing the racking of the 1st brew at the beginning to the 2nd brew in the beginning.. they appear to be pretty close in color.. as you can see above mine has gotten considerably darker.. is this pretty normal?

suggestions/comments?

2nd brew (left) 1st brew (right)

wm0011.jpg
wm002f.jpg

sailman said:
in comparing the racking of the 1st brew at the beginning to the 2nd brew in the beginning.. they appear to be pretty close in color.. as you can see above mine has gotten considerably darker.. is this pretty normal?

suggestions/comments?

1st brew.. after racking
wlzz1k.jpg

2nd brew .. after racking
wlzyuc.jpg

the lighter color is from the yeast cloud swirling around in there

sailman said:
that definately makes sense

yup. just take a look at the picture above showing the first beer after racking. You can already start to see the effects of the yeast settling out at the top of the vessel... notice that there is a 1/8" layer or so of dark/clear beer at the top. As the yeast settles out, this clearer/darker layer expands until it reaches the bottom of the vessel and the beer looks like it does in the first pictures you posted.

-walker

i just cant wait til they are both ready to bottle. not because im looking forward to the work...im just lookin forward to drinking them!!! :)

yes we had the krauesen in both...next brew we plan on using a carboy for the first fermentation so that we can see more of the activity

Latest posts

Back