wheat beer fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello,
My wheat German weizens batch is in primary fermentation bucket, and it bubbles for the first three days, after that it seems to stop. It's been 6 days total and there is no activity now. Is it normal for wheat? Thanks.

calman said:
Hello,
My wheat German weizens batch is in primary fermentation bucket, and it bubbles for the first three days, after that it seems to stop. It's been 6 days total and there is no activity now. Is it normal for wheat? Thanks.
under the proper conditions, primary fermentation usually only takes a few days to complete the initial "boom". once the fermentation slows to a bubble every minute or 2, then you can assume that the initial fermentation has slowed enough to rack to secondary. you can always sample a little to test the SG and check if you are close to your target. if after another day or 2 it hasn't changed, then you are sure it is done. if you aren't using a secondary, then leave it in the primary for 10-14 days i'd say to let things settle out to the bottom.

Weizen beers are still an ale style. If you are fermenting around 68-70 degrees, then primary fermentation will only take a couple days.

Maestro Brewsmith said:
Weizen beers are still an ale style. If you are fermenting around 68-70 degrees, then primary fermentation will only take a couple days.

I keep my primary at 68F constantly. My other honey porter is in secondary and still bubbles twice every 1 minute! However I made some mistakes on this weizen batch, first, I accidently added about one gal more. Secondly, I forgot to add hop till it was ready for cooling the wort (60 min). I correct it by adding hops and boil the wort again for another 10 minute. I am very curious what it's going to turn out.

THanks guys, will rack it to secondary tonight.

Back