Starting Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Howdy all. Just starting to "get" and actually "care" what the SG and FG of brews are in relationship to the hobby. Really have ignored the whole hydrometer portion of the craft out of fear but as I read more literature and this forum, I am starting to view it in a better and less intimidating light. I have a budweiser clone brew that I made with this recipe but it didn't have a SG or FG attached to it. Any tips on how I could figure it out on my own when that is the case?

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Thanks for the help.

What volume of water are you using in that ? If you ended up with 5 US gallons of wort before pitching, Beer tools recons that you will get an OG of 1.031 and an FG of 1.005 giving you ABV of 3.5%.

It may vary a little depending on the honey but probably not too much.

Beer tools is at http://www.beertools.com. It's a really useful site but you do need to register.

HTH

80/-

Latest posts

Back