Turning a bourbon barrel into a rum barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Hi ~

I have a bourbon barrel I've used twice for bourbon barrel stouts. I keep Makers Mark in it when it's not holding beer. After I bottle, I rinse out the barrel and dump in another bottle of Makers.

My question is, can I dump out the bourbon, rinse it really well, and pour in a bottle or two of rum and keep shaking it around every other day to turn it into a rum barrel? Is the char different or anything or is the bourbon already an overwhelming presense? Maybe it would be a unique combo?

In a few weeks, I'll have a vanilla porter that will be ready and was wanting to age it for awhile in a rum barrel or at least what would seem like a rum barrel.

Is this possible? If so, what type of rum would be good to use? Any thoughts?

I'm going to weigh in with just an opinion. If you've already fermented a stout or two and soaked it in bourbon, to me it would be unrealistic to expect nothing but oak and rum to pass onto the porter. Just an opinion

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to just leave it as a bourbon barrel and leave the porter the way it is as well.

While I lean toward your decision to keep it as a bourbon only barrel, there's many excellent bourbon rum drinks. I suspect a bourbon rum porter could be one of them.

Bourbon vanilla porter aged in a rum cask. That sounds like something a man would pay money for. Feel free to send me a sampler, I'll give honest balanced feedback free of charge!

Back