How much pumpkin spice do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
How much pumpkin spice do you use, and when in the brewing process do you use it?

Everyone seems to have different techniques, so I'm hoping a few people can chime in on their process and results.

I want pumpkin spice flavor but do not want it to be overwhelming, and as of now I'm thinking about 1 tsp of pumpkin spice @ 5 minutes.

I make a pumpkin spice tea with crushed whole numeg, and two sticks of cinnamon.I usually steep it with around two cups of water at around 140 until the cinnamon sticks open,cool and add to to the secondary.if you're worried about the risk of infection you could always add powdered spice to the last 15 min of the boil.

If you use Libby's canned pumpkin i recommend the pre spiced filling. It adds all the spice you need. do it at the last 15 of the boil, then steep for 15 after flame out. I personaly use 1 30oz can of plain pumpkin puree and 1 30oz of the pre spiced.

Must be the season, lots of pumpkin questions lately. I don't like it too overwelming either - I do about 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice at flameout (probably similar to pumpkin pie spice but I just mix my own - something like 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp clove, 1/4 tsp nutmeg). This is in a medium gravity amber/brown style. A bigger beer could carry more spice I would suppose.

You make a concentrated spice tea and add it during whirlpool and just before bottling. Adjust the taste to your preferences by drawing a sample. There is no one answer for every recipe and process in terms of exact amounts.

You should however realize the potency of these individual spices will differ. For instance, nutmeg and ginger is more potent than cinnamon or brown sugar; therefore, if using only these four spices, you'll need less of the former / more of the latter.

This is a good spice blend. It has all the spices you need. It has cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg in the right proportion for pumpkin pie or pumpkin beer.

pumpkin%20pie%20spice.ashx

1 cinnamon stick in secondary TOASTED.

I like an open flame to get a little color on the cinnamon stick.

2 weeks is good, but you can sample and pull it when it is good.

Too much nutmeg ruins a beer. (redundant I guess as so can anything, but the line is fine between not detectable, and BLECH!!)

Great info. I just picked up McCormick's pumpkin spice the other day, and that's what I'm planning on using - keeping it simple to start. About 1 tsp @ flameout. I figure I've got enough time to adjust and brew it again before fall is up.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about 5 gallons of beer.

The closer to fresh the better. Short of finding a cinnamon tree, at least use whole, same for nutmeg.

Ground begins to stale immediately.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about 5 gallons of beer.

The closer to fresh the better. Short of finding a cinnamon tree, at least use whole, same for nutmeg.

Ground begins to stale immediately.

I understand, and I'm with you on fresh ingredients, but first I'm gonna get an idea of how much spice to use, then I'll start messing around with it.

Oh, i understand. You will use the stale dust that comes in a plastic bottle, find out how much to use, then start over with fresh next time..................

Lol, its your beer man.

I'm all for using fresh ingredients, but I actually haven't had a problem with powdered cinnamon. I'm not sure what "stale" cinnamon would taste like - is it less potent or something? I've experienced the "fake" kind of flavors you can get from fruit extracts and the like, I just did not think about it affecting a spice like cinnamon that much. Have you done side by side comparison?

for a 6 gallon batch
1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (the stale dust in bottles from the supermarket) at flameout
I also use 90oz canned pumpkin
90oz baked
60oz mashed
30oz boiled

Bakers will tell you that dried spices lose their potency over time. Using fresh ground spices less than a year old should be no problem. A cinnamon stick from god knows where may not be as fresh as a ground spice from a place like Penzey's or The Spice House.

Also if you order from a spice specialty shop, you will likely have several cinnamon varieties to choose from. They all taste very different.

I am trying Vietnamese cinnamon in my Oatmeal Cookie Ale.

Bakers will tell you that dried spices lose their potency over time. Using fresh ground spices less than a year old should be no problem. A cinnamon stick from god knows where may not be as fresh as a ground spice from a place like Penzey's or The Spice House.

Also if you order from a spice specialty shop, you will likely have several cinnamon varieties to choose from. They all taste very different.

I am trying Vietnamese cinnamon in my Oatmeal Cookie Ale.

That makes sense, and that was really my question. It's pretty easy to just add the powder, but if there's some major difference I'd be willing to change. Not being a cook (other than beer) I see there's a whole spice world out there I'm missing. I do have to say the cinnamon sticks from my supermarket don't look so hot!

Interesting with the Vietnamese cinnamon.

My pumpkin ale I made last year I steeped a whole bottle of whole cinnamon sticks with my steeping grains (it was a Midwest kit) an couldn't taste ANY cinnamon after fermentation. I added 2tsp of the McCormicks powdered stuff at bottling. I still have a few and after a year the spice note is still there.

chickypad said:
That makes sense, and that was really my question. It's pretty easy to just add the powder, but if there's some major difference I'd be willing to change. Not being a cook (other than beer) I see there's a whole spice world out there I'm missing. I do have to say the cinnamon sticks from my supermarket don't look so hot!

Interesting with the Vietnamese cinnamon.

Go to Penzeys website and check it out. I am sure you will find some interesting things to add to your brew day. Unusual spices are fairly cheap in the greater scheme of things... And in the case of cinnamons, I can say from first hand experience, the source makes a huge difference.

Some cinnamons that are more assertive are good for things like spicy curry dishes, the flabbier sweet ones go well in sweeter treats.

And correction: I used the Chinese cinnamon in the cookie ale. The Vietnamese was more potent, but the Chinese had more of that fullness of flavor that you associate with baked goods. The Vietnamese was more one-dimensional, so I used the Chinese instead.

Not trying to jack this thread, but can anyone help me out with a simple pumpkin porter extract recipe that doesn't involve using fresh pumpkin? I HAVE searched and haven't found any conclusive recipes on how to do it with canned filling and premade spices that isn't all-grain...

Here is the general rule of thumb for chefs...

Ground spices: replace after 6 months
Whole spices: replace after 12 months

Obviously, you could still use them after this time frame, but their character drops off considerably.

Another reason for whole sticks it toasting.

I get a smidge of black on the sticks and MAN you do get flavor.

Lost potency, less POP. That is what stale does.

Do the bottles have a stale date?

My perception is that the bottle on the shelf could have been bottled and packaged, sat on the shelf, and be a year old. Easy

Not trying to argue, just not in my beer, and I want to help others.

i use just a teaspoon per five gallons - cinnamon. allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and a tiny sprinkle of ginger

Back