Just started my 2nd batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartans2525

Reaction score
I thought that everything went well and the beer started fermenting after about 12 hours. Unfortunately though, I have not seen any bubbles after 48 hours and it is now 72 hours and I have still not seen any bubbles in the air lock since the first day.

I did not take an initial reading (still figuring it out). Any chance I should be worried? I was going to start the second fermentation after about a week but now I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? Buckets are notorious for leaking CO2 from under the lid seal and if that happens you won't get much air lock activity.

If there is foam on the surface of the beer (krausen) then it is fermenting, patience!

Unless you are trying to make the beer super clear or adding fruit, oak, seasonings, etc. There is no need to secondary ferment. If you do secondary you should wait at least 14 days before transferring to secondary. Be sure to ferment for at least 21 days before bottling, although since you didn't take a hydrometer reading first I would let it go a month before bottling to be sure it's done.

Happy brewing!

- J

I'm new to this to. On my 3rd and 4th batch right now 1 larger 1 wine on the go!

I read alot of threads on here as it is a great place to learn things.
Most i have read on this subject is to wait a further week and if still nothing going on try some new yeast. I am sure more of the experienced members will tell you about the same.
Plz keep updating your thread i am curious to see what happens..

Thanks, appreciate the help!

I am fermenting in a bucket and thought that I had the lid on tight. I went to see if it was foaming (it was!) and when I put the top back on, this time I tried to really make sure the cover was on well.

Well, after I did that, the lock started bubbling again. I guess I didn't have it on tight enough initially or it must've leaked out at some point around 24 hours.

Is this a reason that people like fermenting in carboys? I have one and am thinking about buying another. This might make that decision a little easier.

I got a plastic carboy for my secondary as i needed to rack my red wine off and it was only £10 from my local brewing shop.
I will still use my bucket for my main unless i hit any problems like yours.
Glad you found your issue and enjoy your brew when its ready

Latest posts

Back