Belgian Trippel Malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucard1983

Reaction score
So I've don't extract from a can like cooper's I want to try something new with a boil to slowly get into partials

I've decided to try a belgin trippel located from the recipe boad here
The recipe calls for the following:

3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

I got a few questions

1. I cannot get pilsner light extract can I use wheat light lme?
Or what would be a good sub for it?

2. in the hops I cannot get German hallertau or Styrian goldings what would the good sub for these items. I've been told giggles and liberty

3. For yeast would wyeast 3068 be a good choice instead of wlp500.

Hops: Liberty, Pearle, Crystal, or Fuggles (in that order of preference). For the 60 and 30 minute additions, adjust your amounts to make sure the total AAs match. That is, for the 60 minute addition, you have 2 ozs of 3.8 AAs = 7.6 AAs. If the hops you use have 5% AAs, then you would need to use only 1.5 ozs (5 x 1.5 = 7.5). Just get it close; it is not necessary to be exact, but if you were to have 15 AAs, it would be noticeable.

If you can't get Pilsner LME, get the lightest you can (Extra-Light, light, Golden, Pale, etc). Do not use wheat LME.

Instead of the light Belgian Candy sugar, I would use 1.25 lbs of plain table sugar. Light Candi sugar is just inverted table sugar, and just helps to thin out the beer.

Wyeast 3068 is not appropriate, it is a wheat yeast. The Wyeast version of WLP550 is Wy1214. If you can't get either of these, you can use almost any Belgian Ale yeast, but the yeast is the dominant flavor contributor, so I would encourage you to try and get the recommended yeast (FYI, it is the Chimay strain, if you have ever had any of their beers).

One of my favorite Belgian strains is Wy3787. Westmalle strain, perfect in Tripels and Quads IMHO. And I'll second Calder's advice, the grain bill for a Tripel doesn't need to be complicated at all. ~85% pilsner malt (or as light as you can get in your case) and the rest table sugar, shoot for an OG around 1.080 or so. Hops aren't very important, all the varieties he listed will work great. East Kent Goldings and Saaz could be used as well.

Back