first all grain brew: h2o questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennisim

Reaction score
Hello-
I am attempting my first all grain brew in 2 days (started the starter today):
The only part that I am confused on (so far) is the gypsum/baking soda additions to the water since I am using distilled water.

Recipe:
Batch size: 5.00 gal Boil Size: 6.34 Gal Boil time: 60min

7.5lb Pale Malt (US)
1.0lb Oats, Flaked
0.75lb Chocolate Malt
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal Malt- 60L
0.25lb Roasted Barley
2.00oz Goldings, East Kent: 5.00% 60min
4.00gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60min)
5.00gm Gypsum (Mash 60min)
6.00gm Baking Soda (Mash 60min)
1.00lb Maple Syrup (B) boil
Yeast: Irish Ale (White Labs starter) (WP-004 I believe?)
Est OG: 1.058 Est FG: 1.015 Est Alcohol: 5.65% Bitterness: 34.2IBU Est Color: 31.5 SRM
Mash: Single infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.00lb
Sparge Water: 2.92gal
Sparge Temp: 168.0F
60min: MAsh in 12.5 qt Water at 169.3F (For 154'F step temp)
10min: Mash out: 7.00qt water at 198.2'F for 168.0'F step temp.

I followed the recipe for Nerdalicious's Bacon Beer but added Maple Syrup and I will be adding 4lb of bacon to the secondary. Please let me know what you think or if I should change the water profile at all. I already picked up all the grain, etc. I mainly wanted to try doing distilled water to see what the difference was from my tap water. Thanks for the help in advance. -Matt

Thank you ajf. I have gotten to the point where I understand the water chemistry part somewhat - but read too much that I am confusing myself now if that makes sense. I am following the suggestions of my LHBS on adding the minerals to try to make it ideal conditions for a stout - I believe this makes the profile similar to that of Ireland, high in bicarb. If anyone else has any suggestions I appreciate them since I still have to run back to the homebrew shop to pick up a new thermometer.

wait....your first ag brew is a BACON STOUT??

That is amazing. :mug:

In my experience I've always made good tasting beer with just filtered tap water. I think when going all grain it's more important to get your process and system 100% dialed in before you start messing around with water chemistry. Just my opinion though.

After using the spreadsheet (and reading a bit):
I have decided to use mostly distilled water with maybe 1gall of tap water and changed the additions to:
3grams Gypsum CaSO4
4grams CaCL2
5grams Baking Soda
added to mash

and
1.7grams CaSO4
2.2grams CaCl2
2.8grams NaHCO3
This results in (Mash+Sparge):
150 Calcium, 0 Mg (will get some through tap water), 116 Na, 163 Cl, 142SO4
this leads to a Chloride to Sulfate Ratio of 1.15 which is a balance between bitter and malty (more toward malty side)
The estimated mash ph is 5.27

Nothing is a better motivator than bacon in my opinion.

Back