quick question on kegging: purging oxygen from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Getting ready to keg my first beer tonight. I accidentally purchased the wrong regulator (has a high pressure gauge vs a low pressure gauge) but figured while I'm waiting for the new regulator to arrive I can at least get the beer in the keg and start the carbonation process with corn sugar rather than force carb. However, I'm wondering how to go about purging oxygen from the keg. Is it just a matter of giving a keg a quick burst of CO2 at around 10 psi while holding the pressure relief valve open? Is purging just once then letting the keg sit sufficient, or should this be done a couple times during the first few days? If I'm carbing with corn sugar, do I store the keg with some CO2 pressure as well or will that lead to overcarbing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hook up the CO2 and hit the keg with 30 psi. After a couple of seconds pull the relief valve and repeat another 2-3 times. The CO2 will push out the oxygen in the air space above the beer. Leave the keg with 30 psi after you disconnect the air line. It won't over carbonate your beer and will help the lid to seal. There's no need to revisit the keg after that til it's time to tap.

Back