Finally a homebrew to post about

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charesty

Reaction score
Aaaah, the pumpkin pale ale I've been waiting for since 9/23/09 brewday.

8 oz 2-row malt
8 oz Caramel malt (80 lov)
6 lbs light extract
6 lbs fresh, baked, ground pumpkin with steeping grains and kept in boil
1 oz cluster in boil
1/2 oz cascade in finish

flame out spices
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 oz vanilla extract
og 1.040
fg 1.010

So the spices are present and the pumpkin is faint, but there. It doesn't hit you over the head with pumpkin. You can taste the base beer well so it's a good balance.

I used lots of tricks from this forum-late extract brew, cold crash, gelatin, a ladie's knee high autosiphon filter, and bottled with 2/3 cup brown sugar.

It's going to go well with Turkey and Football!

Not sure if you wanted to post that picture or not but, you posted a link that will only work inside YOUR local network.

As for the brew, I have not ventured past the extract kits yet. Need to get some more batches under my belt first.

a ladie's knee high autosiphon filter, and bottled with 2/3 cup brown sugar.

Hey there!

I've picked up a lot of tips here on HBT as well, but these two are new to me. Can you explain why a stocking is the auto-siphon filter of choice? And why brown sugar rather than priming sugar?

Thanks!

I used the knee high stocking as a filter because it is finer than a muslin bag and was super cheap. I may even use them for hop bags.

The brown sugar for priming was to add a little bit of flavor from the molasses used to make brown sugar. I thought it would go pretty well with the flavors of the pumpkin pale ale I made. You can use any number of sugars for priming.

Back