Blow off is geyting clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mccabereynolds said:
My blow off tube is getting clogged. What should I do?

Try taking it off and rinsing it out with hot water. Or by a giant tube to put on there lol. That is all I can suggest. If rinsing doesn't work, I guess just keep an eye on it, pull the tube off every now and again so it doesn't build up pressure and blow. Make sure there isn't any kinks in it or that the tube isn't squeezed at any point.

Do you have your tube in a gromet or a stopper? Are you in a carboy or a bucket?

I had the same problem (1-Gallon glass carboy) and I was changing blow-off tubes every 2 hours or so. I didn't want to go through that again, so I went out a bought a 3 foot length of 1" diameter clear tubing at my LHSB. My plan is to shove it down into the neck of the carboy and the other end in StarSan/Water, thus, being able to handle a larger blow-off. I bought 2 of them.......just in case.

Carboy..,more specifically a one gallon glass jug.

In that case, if it continues I would suggest that you get yourself a larger diameter piece of hose. preferably one that fits snugly inside of your fermentor outlet. Similar to this:

Blow off tube.jpg

But on a smaller scale.

I had the same problem (1-Gallon glass carboy) and I was changing blow-off tubes every 2 hours or so. I didn't want to go through that again, so I went out a bought a 3 foot length of 1" diameter clear tubing at my LHSB. My plan is to shove it down into the neck of the carboy and the other end in StarSan/Water, thus, being able to handle a larger blow-off. I bought 2 of them.......just in case.

you beat me to it... if you have a big box hardware store near you they should have something to help you out.

I do like Bad67.

A 3 1/2 foot piece of 1 inch ID tubing fits perfectly in 5, 6, and 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys. Got my tubing from Northern brewer, who sells it cut to this length. Never had a clog. I run mine to a gallon size glass pickle jar with some plain water in it. I tried star-san solution, but it foamed up too much.

Note* spray or dip the end of the tube going into the carboy with star-san just before installing it in the neck. This lubricates the tubing and makes it much easier to install in the neck as it is a nice airtight fit.

Just for a fun project I recently construced some blow-off assemblies using one inch PVC with reducers that attatch to an 8 inch length of the tubing, which then fits in the carboy necks. This is strictly for looks and does the same thing as the plain tube.

Back