vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsr

Reaction score
hello,
I was wondering if anyone tryied or got accidentaly vinegar out of mead, and if it has any value as a condiment. If it keeps some sweetness, it might go great as sauce for pork meat, or even a salad.
If you do know how, please give instructions here.

Stop by your LHBS and buy some Mother of Vinegar and put it in some mead that has completed its fermentation and just wait.

thorsr - I would not want to actually do it though.
Mead can taste like rocket fuel to vinegar when young. Then taste like Athena's tears in a year.
And after waiting that long I would be crying if it was vinegar, but I think it would be great to marinate chicken etc.

yeah, that was the point. making some sauces and condiments with mead vinegar! I imagine it to be great. I was thinking of setting apart a small portion of my first batch (5L) and trying to vinegar it for this kind of purpose. But only if I get instructions and a guarantee that it´ll do well as a vinegar

Even Mead would make a great condiment. I have had some Orange mead that was too dry for me, it was also very potent and it made a wonderful pork roast marinade. Tenerized the sucker right up.

Back