Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Coffee porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a recipe with everyone. I have brewed this a few times trying to dial in what I wanted, and think it is about as good as it is going to get. Enjoy!

Brewing assistant screen shots below for specifics.

5.5 gal to fermenter

10. lb 8 oz Briess pale ale malt
1.0 lb. Flaked oats
1.0 lb. Vienna
10 oz. Roasted barley
8.0 oz. Crystal 80
8.0 oz. Chocolate malt
8.0 oz. Pale chocolate
4.0 oz. Black patent malt

Mash @ 152 for 1 hour. Fly sparge to collect appropriate amount of runnings.

.5 oz. Columbus @ 60
.5 oz willamett. @ 30
.5 oz.willamett. @ 10

Chill and pitch your favorite clean american yeast. I used us-05. Ferment @ 66 until terminal gravity is reached. This finished @ 1.018. I let it go About 10-14 days sometimes more depends on what else i have going on.

Add 8 Oz of premium roasted whole Columbian coffee beans in a hop sack directly to the fermenter. Do your self a favor. Find a local place that roasts beans and buy direct from them. The difference is amazing. Both aroma and flavors. I let them soak for around 7 days. Ive gone longer but 7 seems to be the sweet spot. Thats it! Secondary if its what you do or Package how you like. I like mine with about 2.5 carb level. Let me know if you try it. Very delicious. Going to do a brett c. Version of this in the future. Should be interesting.

View attachment 1450559532920.jpg

View attachment 1450559560095.jpg

Just tried out your recipe... Tried a no sparge version were I upped the grain by 30% (my first no sparge) I think 30% might be too high.

I'm wondering what your OG was post-boil ?
I hit 1.084 but I was wondering how close you got to the target OG. Anyhow thanks for sharing! I'll re-post my FG

My of was real close to the software. Don't have my notes but I know it was within a couple points either way. Fg finished at 1.018. A bit higher than I expected but it was good

I think I might try this in a month or so! I made a Coffee Porter recently, but it was just from a Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. I just left the pumpkin spice out of it and only used Northern Brewer hops. I did use 8oz of whole coffee beans for 10 days. Used a Kenya Peaberry coffee bean. Really tasty, very strong on coffee flavor, almost iced coffee like!

Although I will do this as a partial mash, using extract for the pale ale malt.

Back