Moving full kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I have a party in April that I brewed for. It's sitting nicely in a keg getting carbed up as we speak. My question is that I used a wyeast kolsch yeast that seemed to be pretty dusty. After it fermented, I put it in the secondary to cold crash and put gelatin. It was completely clear in a week and looked awesome. I transferred it to the keg that I'll be taking to the party.

Is it still going to be clear when I drive the keg from where it sits now to the party, or will there be some yeast kick up and make it cloudy again? I'm not sure if having it pressurized will still keep it clear.

Thanks!

A carbonated keg is no less likely to cloud up if sediment is disturbed.
The question is how clear was the beer when you racked it to the keg - and how gently you can transport same...

Cheers!

I always pour a pint or 2 off before I travel with the keg ...seems to help keep it clear.
Most of the gunk is sucked up on the first couple of pours...

How far are you going? Can you transport it the day before and let it settle?

Jump it to a new keg the day before the party. Sediment free.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I only have 3 kegs, and all 3 are full at the moment. I could take it over there the day before, and that's not a bad idea. I'll talk to the person that's hosting the party to see if they have the room. The only problem is that we were going to put the keg on ice for the party, so I'm not sure if taking it the day before will allow it to cool down enough the day of. The house is only about 20 minutes away...

Back