Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother in law: really, the only difference in light beer and dark beer is that light beer is filterd.
Me: uhh. no... it doesnt really work like that.
my Wife: you cant just pour a can of Guinness through a brita and get bud light.

Hahaha

At a Golf league meeting over the weekend where they buy 30 pitchers (Coors Light & Bud, because it is cost effective and no one drinks craft).

Old curmudgeon- "Coors is like drinking water, I wont drink that crap"
<orders a labatt blue>

Great ex-coworker/friend of mine gave me a bottle of Mr. Beer brew.

"What kind is it?"

"It's an American Lager."

"Ok..."

Didn't even get into it... respect him too much to tell him the difference between lagers and ales, because he wouldn't care anyway and I would probably come off as a snob.

Great ex-coworker/friend of mine gave me a bottle of Mr. Beer brew.

"What kind is it?"

"It's an American Lager."

"Ok..."

Didn't even get into it... respect him too much to tell him the difference between lagers and ales, because he wouldn't care anyway and I would probably come off as a snob.

He made it himself in the Mr. Beer? If that's the case, he might actually care/be interested.

He made it himself in the Mr. Beer? If that's the case, he might actually care/be interested.

Yeah... but when I mentioned to him that I brew as well, his eyes kind of glazed over when I got to talking about different things, so I just left it at that.

Dude is over 50 and I think he just throws together a Mr. Beer every once in a while for fun, I don't see him ever stepping up, so I just leave it alone.

When talking to my Uncle who lives in West Virginia on the phone:

"Yeah I have some of that Double X stuff, brought that back from my trip to Mexico, it's really good"

When describing to him the RIS I made and how it is 11.5%
"Phewww, that is like that shock top stuff, gets you drunk really quick!"

When talking to my Uncle who lives in West Virginia on the phone:

"Yeah I have some of that Double X stuff, brought that back from my trip to Mexico, it's really good"

When describing to him the RIS I made and how it is 11.5%

"Phewww, that is like that shock top stuff, gets you drunk really quick!"

Did you tell him that double x stuff is on almost every walmart and grocery store shelf?

Dude is over 50

I'll have to remember that excuse for any of my faults and quirks. "Hey Mike, this beer tastes like $h!t! Lemme alone, I'm over 50!" I can get away with elevator farts, open mouth chewing, forgetting peoples' names, interrupting their conversations, selective hearing loss, the possibilities are endless...

Yeah... but when I mentioned to him that I brew as well, his eyes kind of glazed over when I got to talking about different things, so I just left it at that.

Dude is over 50 and I think he just throws together a Mr. Beer every once in a while for fun, I don't see him ever stepping up, so I just leave it alone.

You might want to think about having him over for a brew day or something. And try not to use science words like sacchrification rest and stuff like that. I started on Mr. Beer and went to a brew session, and I could tell when they talked about some stuff, I got the glass eyes myself (not for lack of interest, just an overload of information).

I'll have to remember that excuse for any of my faults and quirks. "Hey Mike, this beer tastes like $h!t! Lemme alone, I'm over 50!" I can get away with elevator farts, open mouth chewing, forgetting peoples' names, interrupting their conversations, selective hearing loss, the possibilities are endless...

My point was, he's pretty set in his ways and I don't see him taking on any new hobbies.

But yeah, by the time you're 50... you've pretty much got one foot in the grave. :D

My point was, he's pretty set in his ways and I don't see him taking on any new hobbies.

But yeah, by the time you're 50... you've pretty much got one foot in the grave. :D

Hey now, be civil:eek:.

Any time you think you can beat me to the top of Mt Meeker in February let me know and I will pull that foot out of the grave and give you are run.

Hey now, be civil:eek:.

Any time you think you can beat me to the top of Mt Meeker in February let me know and I will pull that foot out of the grave and give you are run.

I was just messin' brother... but I'd rather settle this with something I'm a little more comfortable with.

54th-All-Japan-Kendo-Champ2006-2_8636.jpg

I was just messin' brother... but I'd rather settle this with something I'm a little more comfortable with.

Reminds me of the story of two muggers jumping a 70 year old man in NY. It happened to be Jack Dempsey, former heavyweight champion. It didn't turn out too good for the muggers.

I was in the Foothills Brewpub in Winston-Salem greatly enjoying a Pilot Mountain Pale Ale when I noticed something a few tables away and was absolutely horrified. A gentleman in a group at that table had a Bud Light can in front of him.

When the waiter came by I waved him over and asked about it: "Did that guy really order a BUD LIGHT at the Foothills Brewing Company pub?"

He smiled and said "We offer a wide selection of bottled waters for the customers who request them."

It turns out they actually charge MORE for the canned premium beers than they do for their own superior product on tap... and PEOPLE PAY IT.

I was flabbergasted.

It turns out they actually charge MORE for the canned premium beers than they do for their own superior product on tap... and PEOPLE PAY IT.

I was flabbergasted.

I've seen a menu at a place with 100+ beer between kegs, cask, bottles, and everything in between. On a page at the very back was all the BMC stuff we all know and hate on for a price higher than most of the "other stuff."

hell, I'm gonna use that and I'm only 36!

but why are they wearing face guards? and are those swords made of wood?!? wait... all right! where's Ashton? where is he? you had me goin' for a minute!

I was in the Foothills Brewpub in Winston-Salem greatly enjoying a Pilot Mountain Pale Ale when I noticed something a few tables away and was absolutely horrified. A gentleman in a group at that table had a Bud Light can in front of him.

When the waiter came by I waved him over and asked about it: "Did that guy really order a BUD LIGHT at the Foothills Brewing Company pub?"

He smiled and said "We offer a wide selection of bottled waters for the customers who request them."

I was flabbergasted.

Excellent business move. Charge people more for what you can. Econ 101. I always look for the best deal, so no matter how fond I was of a particular beer, I would give the cheaper in house brews a try even if I wasn't a craft beer aficionado.

Wow, now that looks fun. Did Karate for several years, Okinawan style, but never kendo.

And my reply was tongue in cheek as well. Some days I feel like at least one foot is in the grave.

Wow, now that looks fun. Did Karate for several years, Okinawan style, but never kendo.

And my reply was tongue in cheek as well. Some days I feel like at least one foot is in the grave.

I actually practice Kumdo, which is the Korean version... very similar, Kumdo seems a bit more aggressive to me but a little less rigid. We also practice Kum Bup, or battlefield patterns with a Mokgum and I enjoy that very much. Relaxing and intense at the same time.

Martial arts are great for the soul.

Yesterday on a chat thread, I saw a lot of the old "drinking a Guinness is like eating a loaf of bread" comments. Even comparison to pumpernickel, which is wrong on every dimension except color.

Oh, does anyone else remember the old saying that I heard a lot when I was just starting to drink.

"You can survive off of nothing but Guinness and an Orange"

Apparently by drinking nothing but Guinness and eating one orange a day you will get all the vitamins and minerals and everything else you need to stay healthy.

Anyone care to test this for us?

There was a TV show with a guy doing it with Guinness and no orange that I saw once. He lost a bunch of weight bc Guinness doesn't have enough calories. He also was tired all the time. Didn't look fun at all to me.

I don't think anyone would want to watch your colon explode.

Funny thing about buffets... most people don't realize it, but you actually are not required to eat to the near-puking stage of satiety. They will actually allow you to have a light salad and a little baked fish, maybe with some fruit for dessert, and call it a night. :D

Funny thing about buffets... most people don't realize it, but you actually are not required to eat to the near-puking stage of satiety. They will actually allow you to have a light salad and a little baked fish, maybe with some fruit for dessert, and call it a night. :D

Excuse me! I thought this was America! ;)

I can't eat buffet food...something about it does not agree. Might be too many things at once. Or all the wings...

Back