Hoppiest IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.GoodBrew

Reaction score
I am looking for a very hoppy extract/ pm IPA recipe. Something killer for even a hophead. I've done a little poking around other places, but can someone recommend me a good one?

Something nice and strong too. I guess I am looking for an Imperial IPA? Is that correct?

Dude said:
AHEM:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21229

This is the "Mushroom cloud laying mother****er" of Double IPAs. If you don't have brewing software to convert it to extract, ask someone for assistance....

:D

That is SUCH a good beer, both your version and right from the source. It's so hoppy, yet emminently drinkable. This will absolutely be the next IPA I brew.

Originally quoted by Dude
AHEM:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21229

This is the "Mushroom cloud laying mother****er" of Double IPAs. If you don't have brewing software to convert it to extract, ask someone for assistance....

This is 100% true. Hands down, the best Double IPA I've ever had. Just substitute 10.50 lbs of the Pale Malt with 6.3 lbs DME. So the recipe would look like this:

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.30 lbs. Dry Malt Extract
1.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.75 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Cali Ale (Safale-56)

Notes
3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.
Recipe copied exactly according to Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing Company Owner/Brewmaster) handout distributed at 2005 National Homebrew Conference.

Just to quibble a little, is it TRULY a double IPA at an OG of 1075, like Dude's recipe? I tend to think of IIPAs as being closer to 1090 or so, but that's probably just me being mis-informed.

So many of the double-IPAs I have had end up being so overwhelmingly sweet and viscous, it really kills their drinkability. I absolutely love how dry this one is; it's critical, I think, for brewing a beer of this style.

the_bird said:
Just to quibble a little, is it TRULY a double IPA at an OG of 1075, like Dude's recipe? I tend to think of IIPAs as being closer to 1090 or so, but that's probably just me being mis-informed.

So many of the double-IPAs I have had end up being so overwhelmingly sweet and viscous, it really kills their drinkability. I absolutely love how dry this one is; it's critical, I think, for brewing a beer of this style.

If Vinny says it is a double, I believe it. ;)

MriswitH said:
Sweet Jesus that is a ton of IBU's!

That is a promash thing I think....the program just can't handle the amount of hops. I think it is actually classified as 83, IIRC. It is the hop flavor in this one that is amazing.

Originally posted by Bird

Double IPAs typically start at 1.075 and top out at 1.095. Actually when I was at Russian River last month, they had Pliny listed on the board at 1.082 so you could probably get away with another pound of DME in the extract recipe. But like you Bird, I also like my IIPAs on the drier side.

Edit - My mistake, they actually had listed the IBUs as 82. I can't remember what they posted as the O.G. but I'm sure Dude's is pretty close seeing as the recipe came directly from the source. :D

Quick question before I decide to try this. I'm assuming MH means you add the hops to your MLT?

And is it saying, for the dryhopping, to add 1.25 oz. of each of those hops 3 times for a total of 3.75 oz of each hop? And do you add them once, or three separate times? Sorry I find the wording confusing.:drunk:

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Cali Ale (Safale-56)

Notes
3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.

Orpheus said:
Quick question before I decide to try this. I'm assuming MH means you add the hops to your MLT?

And is it saying, for the dryhopping, to add 1.25 oz. of each of those hops 3 times for a total of 3.75 oz of each hop? And do you add them once, or three separate times? Sorry I find the wording confusing.:drunk:

Mash hops go into the MLT, yes....You could skip that addition for extract, IMHO.

3 separate dry-hop additions, removing them after 2 weeks and adding fresh dry hops. This means, after 2 weeks, take the 1.25 oz (each) of the 3 varieties, remove from fermenter, and add another 1.25 oz. of each for another 2 weeks, and so on. For my first batch, I only dry-hopped it once and it turned out fine.

Dude said:
Mash hops go into the MLT, yes....You could skip that addition for extract, IMHO.

3 separate dry-hop additions, removing them after 2 weeks and adding fresh dry hops. This means, after 2 weeks, take the 1.25 oz (each) of the 3 varieties, remove from fermenter, and add another 1.25 oz. of each for another 2 weeks, and so on. For my first batch, I only dry-hopped it once and it turned out fine.
Holy crap. So you start out with 5 gallons and end up with 3.....

Sounds good though.:mug:

Found this recipe online and it's currently dryhopping. It smells GREAT!!! Bottling it next week.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: YES
Batch Size (Gallons): 4.75
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 120.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 14 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9 days @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 13 days @ 68-72

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (45 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops

1 Pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I made this as my first simple big beer, and my first original recip. I wanted something a little different, so I chose williamette hops for their earthy grassy flavor, which seemed to overtake the others in terms of aroma and flavor, with a nice hint added by the centenial. Came out fairly dry, could have used another # of malt, but it is just about what I was shooting for. Makes your jaw clench just smelling it, I love this brew and have a feeling that it won't be hanging around too long. I'm gonna have to stash a few away in a hidden place for a few months down the road.

what if you can't get your hands on DME? will liquid malt extract work? and If so, what flavor or variety would be reccomended?

I'd use a light liquid extract. Remember that it is less concentrated than DME.

A good rule of thumb is that one pound of mashed base grain yields about the same gravity as .7 lbs LME or about .575 lbs DME.

Happy Brewing

120 IBUs? You must still smell hops when you pee.:D

If you like the hop flavor, my IPA recipe gets 60% of its IBUs from late hop additions (20 down to 5 minutes). I got the idea from an article from Jamil Zainasheff and it really works. He did an APA with his first hop addition at 20 minutes to go.

If you want a DIPA, you would have to add some gravity points and some hops to match (1.5 lbs of LME and an extra .5 oz of 20 minutes Cascade). You could even move more of the 90 minutes hops from my recipe to later additions, adding an extra 50% to 100% when you do, modify the hops to your favorites, and add more dry hops (I love Dude's dry hop schedule may have to steal that one).

This is a frickin' awesome beer. Probably the first big beer I did when I used extract (the B3 version is pretty close). Man, I didn't know what I was getting into. It was like being a virgin and hopping into bed with Angelina Jolie.:ban: I was out of my element....and yes, I blew my airlock :eek: The first time I did it, I hadn't learned the importance of pure oxygen and large starters. Of course, the first try resulted in a very cloying and underfermented beer. The second time, I got it right and unleashed the beast. That keg was GONE in like 2 weeks....I even accused SWMBO of having some when I wasn't around :eek: ... But nope, it was just my alcoholic self :tank:

Hawkie333 said:
It was like being a virgin and hopping into bed with Angelina Jolie.:ban: I was out of my element....and yes, I blew my airlock :eek: The first time I did it, I hadn't learned the importance of pure oxygen and large starters.

Yes, while they size that size doesn't matter, let's face it, a large starter DOES make all the difference.:)

Back