Racking twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I have a bock in primary right now, and I was planning on keeping in there for 2 weeks, then doing a diactyl rest, and then racking to a carboy and lagering. Will being in the primary for 2 weeks cause any off flavors from the spent yeast? Should I rack from primary to secondary and then from secondary to a lagering carboy? I really don't want to do that...more chance for contamination...

Yeast autolysis is sort of an urban legend on the homebrew scale. It's not worth getting worked up over. Moreover, 2 weeks is sort of the minimum amount of fermentation time I'd give to a bock fermenting at typical lager yeast temperatures. Well, let's say 10 days. I would probably go about 10 days and check it, then decide if I want to rack it at that point or wait another few days.

Ditto that, it's going to actually benefit sitting on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks. The yeast can clean up a lot of off flavors during that extra time, and it'll settle out nice and clear. I would avoid racking to a secondary just from risk of infection, much less two secondaries.

Back