Golden Promise and Golden Naked Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a recipe in Beer Smith using Simpson's Golden Promise and some Golden Naked Oats. Can't find either of these grains in BeerSmith though. Any suggestions for a substitution?

I'm trying to do a recipe in Beer Smith using Simpson's Golden Promise and some Golden Naked Oats. Can't find either of these grains in BeerSmith though. Any suggestions for a substitution?
Why don't you just add Golden Promise to beersmith? I'd use the default for Maris Otter and change the Lovibond to match that of Golden Promise.

I don't know if you'll get total exact accuracy in terms of the stats like diastatic power, moisture and such, but I'd imagine they're close. But even if those are way different, I can't see how it'd throw your recipe out of whack. It's what I do, in any case. I'm updating Beersmith all the time with new grains from LBHS, varying hop AA%, etc...

Not sure about the golden oats. Look at the simpsons website and see if you can find those details. Color and gravity potential are what you really care about.

I couldn't find much information about the Golden Naked Oats on Simpsons site... here is the link http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/jps.asp

I found something called Malted Oats in beer smith...do you think that would be pretty close?

No. the Golden Naked Oats are NOT malted oats. It's totally different. You can just add what you know, or go with steel cut oats. Not the same, but you can change the Beersmith file to something more accurate.

I can't seem to find Steel Cut Oats in beer smith either. How or where could I find the potential yield for Golden Naked Oats? I basically just want a rough guesstimate what kind of OG I'll be looking at.

I have an app on my iPad called iBrewMaster and it gives the SG and color for Golden Naked Oats. I'm always in the noob stage so I'm thinking potential yield is the SG for a certain grain. Hope this helps.

SG: 1.033
Color: 10L

Aren't Golden Naked Oats to Oat Malt as Crystal Malt is to 2-row? GNO looks nothing like flaked oats.

Rebelbrewer.com shows the Simpson's GNO listed as 15 L.
I've seen the PPG listed anywhere from 25-35, the latter is more likely.

Aren't Golden Naked Oats to Oat Malt as Crystal Malt is to 2-row?

yes, that is my understanding, but my understanding is incomplete.... somehow i think that isn't the whole picture. everything i've read says that GNO needs to be mashed. if it was a true crystal it could just be steeped. maybe it's only partially crystallized? or maybe for some reason crystallized oats still require conversion?

Back