Building a brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twanger1994

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been designing my brewstand "HERMS" for a few months now and finally got the layout I am looking for. In short the stand will be a large middle section with two short burner sections on each side. My reason for this design is greatly impacted by storage needs.

My design is going to be made using metal stock and welding all parts together. And There is my problem... I am unsure what type and thickness metal I should use.

The tall middle section will need to hold a 52 qt cooler/mashtun. Also each burner stand will hold the converted kegs. A 15.5 gal. keg full weights approx. 161 lbs.

I dont have the knowledge of metal tinsel strentgh and need some help figuring what size/thickness to use.

Thanks for any information you can lay one me....:mug:

lots of people use 1.5" x .065" mild steel tube...that'll be plenty strong. you can go bigger if you want, I used 2" x .12" stainless square tube...it looks like something out of a heavy industrial plant.

lots of people use 1.5" x .065" mild steel tube...that'll be plenty strong. you can go bigger if you want, I used 2" x .12" stainless square tube...it looks like something out of a heavy industrial plant.

I just worry about the gauge of the steel... I know I want to use box just cause I like the look... But I am worried .065 will not be enough.

I used to have a 1/16" thick steel grate with legs that I use when we go camping over the firepit... and for burgers/dogs I dont mind but it feels flimsy... could just be the design tho...

.120 wall is almost twice the price!!!

I just worry about the gauge of the steel... I know I want to use box just cause I like the look... But I am worried .065 will not be enough.

I used to have a 1/16" thick steel grate with legs that I use when we go camping over the firepit... and for burgers/dogs I dont mind but it feels flimsy... could just be the design tho...

.120 wall is almost twice the price!!!

comparing square tubing to expanded metal grating is like comparing a double IPA to a miller lite... As long as your design is sound, it'll be plenty strong...like overkill strong for most 10 gallon systems. Can you post an image of your design? ALso, are you buying locally or online? What kind of prices are you seeing?

comparing square tubing to expanded metal grating is like comparing a double IPA to a miller lite... As long as your design is sound, it'll be plenty strong...like overkill strong for most 10 gallon systems. Can you post an image of your design? ALso, are you buying locally or online? What kind of prices are you seeing?

Sorry what i meant was the grating has a angle frame around it and 4 legs that lock into a position so it can bridge a fire ring on campsites. the gauge is what i question mostly.... ive been looking online but ill have to find it locally cause shipping will kill ya...

got a picture at http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tUcUi13vXdc/TbXnRtJ4ANI/AAAAAAAAAB0/MHaqsq2iq_s/s1600/beer+stand+final.jpg

probably have some minor changes to that design.. like the middle may become 10" shorter

Back