Noob Questions for New Batch of Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJay

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a noob and getting ready to start a new batch of mead and I'm wanting to try to mix a few flavors to try different combination. Instead of co-fermenting, I'm going to make a small batch of each flavor and then mix them once they are finished. I'll start with a traditional mead in the 6.5 gallon primary and then rack into 1/2 gallon jugs with the fruits, etc.. (I'm using 1/2 gallons because I have a bunch of jugs already). Some of the flavors I want to try are lime, mint, ginger, pomegranate, lemon, peach, cardamom, blackberry, apricot, and black cherry. I'd like to mix different flavors such as lime & mint, lime & ginger, peach & ginger, cardamom & mint, etc..

I'm wanting to get some feedback as to this method of mixing the finished meads rather than co-fermenting and any suggestions or advice anyone may have. Thanks

co-fermenting? huh?

there's nothing wrong with your idea, other than a lot of loss due to the rackings and such.

figure you always lose 1-3 inches of liquid from the bottom to avoid racking sediment...you might lose close to a gallon in this experiment, and you'll only have a few small glasses of each flavor to play around with.

that's really the only downside. you'll probably want to invest in a mini-auto-siphon too for this.

Malkore, good point on the loss of liquid. I'm doing this experiment so I don't have to make several larger batches and thought this would be the easiest way to try several different types of mead. "Co-fermenting" was meant to mean that I would not be fermenting two flavors together (i.e. peach/ginger) so maybe I misused the term. I'm choosing not to do this because I'm not sure how much of each flavor is needed for optimal taste but I'm open to other suggestions.

Back