Berliner Weisse transferring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weisse just over 2 months ago now and it has been in the primary the whole time. I know I should have racked it into secondary 4-5 weeks in but I just kept my brewing calendar poorly so I am not sure what I should do now.

I have never brewed a sour ale before but I am pretty sure the pellicle formed last week (picture attached). I was wondering what people thought on how I should proceed since I had read that you normally want to wait for the pellicle to drop before bottling but I also don't know how much leaving it on the yeast cake will hurt the final product.

Should I go ahead and transfer it to secondary today or should I leave it on the yeast for a couple more months?

IMG_0010.jpg

rt-

I don't see a pellicle in the photo. I think the big bubbles are from yeast, probably the Brett. What yeast strain did you use?

This should be okay to rack. This will give you a chance to test the SG and give the hydrometer tube a taste. It can take several months for the lacto to really sour the beer. IIRC, remove Berliner from the cake and leave Lambic on the cake. There are tons of threads on the Lambic and Wild Brewing forum.

Back