just moved to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
well today i moved my first batch from the primary fermentor to the glass carboy.i brewed this batch 7 days ago it had a SG of about 1.041-1.043 or so.today when getting going took another gravity reading and it was 1.014 so into the glass carboy it goes for another couple of weeks.i took a small sample and sniffed it and the tasted it smelled quit good a little yeasty smell but all in all not bad,and tasted flat.im brewing scottish light ale and the kit came with oak chips,i boiled them and added to the carboy first per instructions are the wood chips for added taste or aromatics?

Never used wood chips in brewing before. If my memory holds correctly, they're "supposed" to help clarify the beer and can add a flavour if they're new-er-ish (do a search on here for wood chips and you'll see some previous posts).

AB re-uses their chips (washes them), the brewmaster I met said it was mostly to help clarify the beer (yeast apparently sticks to it) but weren't used to really add any noticeable flavour profile..

Happy Brewing,
Awfers

Back