Thinking of adding bitter orange peel to a sasion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinbeer

Reaction score
I just xfered my 1st attempt at a Belgian sasion and was thinking of adding a bit (.5-1 oz) of bitter orange peel I got from my LHBS. Is this something I needed to sterelize before dropping into a secondary, and if so, how? Vodka, everclear, boiling water, or just drop in and hope all is well. Any sugestions would br greatly appreciated.

i suppose you could add it to secondary, but i think ordinarily orange peel is added to the boil for 5 or less minutes. you'd probably have to use more if you're just going to secondary it... and lastly, saison has enough flavors going on that i don't know if you'll need any orange peel in it. i regretted adding it to a belgian wit i made a while back, it made it too bitter (perhaps i added too much).

Traditionally in saisons bitter and sweet orange peel is added to the boil, not in the secondary.

My saison had I believe a half ounce of the sweet in it (a saison du pont clone.)

I just cracked my first one, it is excellent. The orange is barely perceptible but is in the backbone of the recipe.

I don't know if "dry oranging" will have any effect whatsoever. I f you did add it, and it was from a sealed pack you shoul be okay...I mean if fermentation is complete then you are adding it to alcohol after all, so there's really no need to sanitize it. But one option would be to either soak it in some vodka for a couple days and add that all in the secondary or just go with some curaco orange liqueur.

Traditionally in saisons bitter and sweet orange peel is added to the boil, not in the secondary.

Traditionally, aren't the spice flavors produced by the yeast rather than adding things like orange peel? Adding spices to a saison is kinda like... cheating. ;)

Traditionally, aren't the spice flavors produced by the yeast rather than adding things like orange peel? Adding spices to a saison is kinda like... cheating. ;)

Not according to any of the research and stuff I did before doing the saison....In fact;

From; Saison

Some saison brewers strive to make their product even more distinctive with some personal flair. The use of spices-running the gamut from sweet orange peel to pepper to ginger-is not uncommon. One brewer adds one or more fruit juices to the brew.

Almost every saison recipe I came across (including those on here) used orange peel, either bitter, or sweet, and many contained both. (I honestly can't recall if I used both in mine-my recipe is on my beersmith at work, not home.

This isn't mine, but even the AHA big brew saison recipe from november had everything but the kitchen sink.

Saison Du Mont – All Grain Recipe¹

For a 5.5 gallon (21 L) yield:

O.G.: 1.056
F.G.: 1.008
IBU: 21

Fermentables
7.25 lb (3.3 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
2.0 lb (0.91 kg) Vienna Malt
8 oz (227 g) Flaked Wheat
8 oz (227 g) Flaked Oats
8 oz (227 g) Honey, added after boil

Hops
1.0 oz (28 g) Golding, (4.75% AA), 90 minutes (If Golding is unavailable, substitute Willamette hops for 17 IBU.)
0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertauer, (4.0% AA), 15 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertauer, (4.0% AA), at 0 minutes
¾ tsp (3 g) Irish moss, added at 15 minutes

Spices
0.5 oz (14 g) crushed coriander, 0 minutes
0.5 tsp (2 g) grains of paradise, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Curacao (sweet) orange peel, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Valencia (bitter) orange peel, 0 minutes

ANd these are others mentioned in the New York times article.

Its Hennepin is named for Father Louis Hennepin, a Franciscan priest and missionary who was born in what's now Belgium's Hainaut province (regarded as the birthplace of the saison style) and who was the first European to see Niagara Falls. Spiced with orange peel and ginger, Hennepin has a fresh, bready aroma, a sweet-tart fruitiness and a dry, herbal finish. It would go superbly with Thai ginger beef or chicken....

Available in draft only, and at just two restaurants locally, is Pilot House S8zon from Sierra Nevada Brewing in Chico, Calif. Dave Alexander, owner of the Brickskeller and RFD Washington, was one of a select group of publicans who helped formulate and brew this experimental beer at a "beer camp" that the brewery held in August. Alexander admits that saison is not his favorite style; he had suggested doing a "West Coast witbier" with an extra dose of spices and hops. His comrades had other ideas, but they did make a concession by adding coriander and orange peel -- the traditional spices in a witbier -- to the brew kettle....

I'm just sayin......

Thanks for the insight everyone, I might try some grand marnier or contreau. Should have some from a night of margaritas a few weeks back.

Not according to any of the research and stuff I did before doing the saison....In fact;

Almost every saison recipe I came across (including those on here) used orange peel, either bitter, or sweet, and many contained both. (I honestly can't recall if I used both in mine-my recipe is on my beersmith at work, not home.

This isn't mine, but even the AHA big brew saison recipe from november had everything but the kitchen sink.

ANd these are others mentioned in the New York times article.

I'm just sayin......

Yes, but you're talking modern examples and I'm talking "traditional". Traditionally, it was also a very low alcohol beer... but I'm only willing to take tradition SO FAR. :D

Latest posts

Back