too much dextrose, what do i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwiehler

Reaction score
Hi folks,
i've been cruising the forum for a few months as I have just entered the world of all-grain, but i might have just messed up my first batch so this will be my first post. I got a little too excited about a weizen i plan to make tomorrow and when i bottled my first batch (5 gallons of pale ale) i wasnt thinking and added dextrose calculated for a weizen rather than a pale ale. I think the calculations came out to be 244g for a 5 gallon batch to reach a carbonation level of around 4.04. For my pale ale i was hoping to be around 2-2.5. I dont want to over carbonate my pale ale. My question is this:
: What is the best way to slow down the yeast so they dont over carbonate the batch?
: If i test the carbonation levels adn i find them good, would it work to stick the whole batch of beer in the fridge to slow down the yeast?
: Any other suggestions?

cheers,

even if you slow the yeast, they are still going to eventually ferment that priming sugar and leave you with 4 volumes of CO2.

probably your best bet is to let them carb up to 4 volumes, then uncap them and recap. removing that co2 in the headspace will remove a bit of carbonation, and then more will come out of solution into the headspace when you recap.

might not be 2.5 volumes, but it won't be so strongly carb'd.

Malkore has a good plan, The other thing you could do is open the bottle 15min before you want to drink it, and keep it in the fridge, that will vent off come CO2 for you as well.

A third option is to monitor the carb level and on the day you hit the perfect level, invite all your friends over. They won't have a chance to get overcarbed that way. :D

Freeze the bottles when they reach the desired carbonation. That'll kill most of the yeast and prevent further carbonation. You could also freeze and thaw them a few times to really make sure all the yeast are dead. After that keep em cool.

Freeze the bottles when they reach the desired carbonation. That'll kill most of the yeast and prevent further carbonation. You could also freeze and thaw them a few times to really make sure all the yeast are dead. After that keep em cool.

last time i froze a bottle of something it tried to expand beyond the capacity of the bottle....

Back