Flaked Corn vs Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I recently made Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde for the SWMBO. She likes it, but would like something a little lighter. I have used flaked corn in the past for some other brews, but I don't know that I fully understand it's contribution.

On the re-do, I was simply going to subtract a pound of two row and add a pound of flaked corn to make up the difference. Will the flaked corn be sweet? Do I need to back off the crystal malt when I use it?

What about the Rice? Is it the same? Are the two interchangeable?

Thanks,

corn and rice are added to beer to lighten both color and final gravity since they both tend to ferment more completely than a straight barley mash. no do not back off on other ingredients when subbing in adjuncts.

They both serve the same purpose, like Erik said, BUT to me they are NOT interchangeable. They each have their own charactersitics, and distinctive flavors....

Rice tends to make for dryer beers (like Bud for instance, or Sapporo) Where to me Corn adds a sweet creaminess to the beers (Think Canadian beers like Labatts)

Both styles of beers are lagers, but they each have a distinctive flavor, and body....I prefer those MBC beers that are corn adjunct over rice....

Cream ales tend to be corn adjuncted, and to me they have a milkiness about them.

I've also noticed that with corn adjuncted BMC's the taste improves if you let it warm up a bit. Where Budweiser tastes even more crappy when it warms.

If you let Labatt's warm up a bit, I think the flavor improves..you get some of the corniness coming through...

Corn sugar is another option. You don't have to add it to the mash, just add it to the boil. It will dry out the brew just fine, and as long as you don't overdo it, does not change the flavor profile in a noticeable way.

I have also used Rice Syrup Solids. It seems to work about the same as corn sugar, but costs over twice as much per pound.

I just like corn in my lawnmower beer. Try this recipe. Came out nice and clean.

Sterling Otter
Blonde Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/17/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Slimer
Boil Size: 7.46 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 45.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.25 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.50 %
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 oz Sterling [8.70 %] (90 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [8.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [8.70 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.03 %
Bitterness: 17.9 IBU Calories: 180 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 8.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.17 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.00 qt of water at 163.3 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.00 qt of water at 210.9 F 168.0 F

OK.

Both lighten a beer in both color and body. Flaked Corn makes a "creamier" beer. Flaked Rice makes a slightly "drier" beer.

Sound right?

Back