Does any one use a Beverage Cooler for a Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a Fermentation Chamber set up for Lagering and brewing in the Summer Months. I am looking at something that will hold a 6.5 gal. Carboy. I have seen that many people modify the Dorm Style refrigerators. I looked into these but noticed that most have a partially raised floor. I want something with a flat floor that does not need too much in the way of modification if at all possible.. I searched the intergoogle and saw this beverage cooler; HBCN05EBB - 96-Can (12 Oz.) Or 46-Wine Bottle Capacity.

Has anyone ever used one of these before? It looks like a good Idea because I could use it to store homebrews...etc...

TIA

Zman

I don't have that one, but almost all wine coolers have a compressor hump just like regular fridges. Normally the only difference is a slightly upgraded thermostat and different shelving. I would go with a mid-sized dorm fridge that will fit a single carboy or bucket if you want to keep it small.

I don't have that one, but almost all wine coolers have a compressor hump just like regular fridges. Normally the only difference is a slightly upgraded thermostat and different shelving. I would go with a mid-sized dorm fridge that will fit a single carboy or bucket if you want to keep it small.

Thanks for the quick reply :mug:
Do you use a Dorm Fridge or have you ever used one to ferment in? IF so what size would you recommend. I need to measure the carboy but I want it to be big enough for the carboy, the airlock, blow off tube and a small plastic jug of star san solution.

Does anyone know of a model that will accommodate a single Better Bottle without the hump causing a problem?

Also, if it matters to you, anything with a glass door/window is terribly inefficient regarding the energy needed to keep a constant temp.

I have a Johnson Temp controller that I am going to use to maintain the temp inside. I thought about the glass door and letting light in so I would just cover it with a towel or something to that effect.

I do not use a dorm fridge, sorry. You will have to measure to make sure it fits.

My theory about the glass door is that you will actually use less energy with a glass door because you will not be opening the fridge to check on your brew. Opening the opaque door once during fermentation would likely make up for a full week of heat loss difference between the glass and a regular door. Those doors are designed as fridge doors and I am sure they are pretty good. Also, most of them are UV coated to block UV light so you should be able to leave it is clear view.

I went to Walmart the other day to try and pick up the fridge but even though it was supposedly in stock it wasn't. I took that as a sign and on the way out I saw this large 38 gallon PP (29"Lx17"Wx18"H) bin/tote & lid for $10. Just perfect for two of my 7.9g fermenters.

I have some 1.75" hard foam paneling and silver bubble-wrap stuff. I wrapped it up with two layers and put a piece of the the styrofoam underneath. Until I can resolve a dedicated Cold Chamber ( I want my guest bathroom back!) this oughta work for ales for the time being.

Every 12 hours or so I just swap an ice-pack out.

Those buckets are pretty big- maybe it would accommodate carboys. Hope this helps.

ale_chamber1.jpg

ale_chamber_2.jpg
temp_read.jpg

I went to Walmart the other day to try and pick up the fridge but even though it was supposedly in stock it wasn't. I took that as a sign and on the way out I saw this large 38 gallon PP (29"Lx17"Wx18"H) bin/tote & lid for $10. Just perfect for two of my 7.9g fermenters.

I have some 1.75" hard foam paneling and silver bubble-wrap stuff. I wrapped it up with two layers and put a piece of the the styrofoam underneath. Until I can resolve a dedicated Cold Chamber ( I want my guest bathroom back!) this oughta work for ales for the time being.

Every 12 hours or so I just swap an ice-pack out.

Those buckets are pretty big- maybe it would accommodate carboys. Hope this helps.

ale_chamber1.jpg

ale_chamber_2.jpg
temp_read.jpg

That is very cool and ingenious but I have only one bath tub. Good job!!:mug:

Does anyone know of a model that will accommodate a single Better Bottle without the hump causing a problem?

I'm looking for the same thing..just went to Sears, Home Depot and WalMart tonight in search of a mini fridge that will accommodate a fermentation pail...12" diameter and 22" high with airlock. All the 4.5 cu ft. fridges I saw are about 11" deep in front of the compressor hump. They're all tall enough, just not deep enough. I think some of the wine chillers are deeper to accommodate wine bottles in their side..even in front of the compressor, so that might be the way to go..just very costly. If anybody else has any ideas, I'd really love to know since I can't get started brewing until I have a fridge to control fermentation temp.

I picked up a cheap 4.5cu ft fridge the other day. I have been pondering how to use it for awhile now. First I was going to build a collar, then an entire chamber, then I was going to scrap it for a larger fridge.

Now I have decided I'm going to move the compressor back out of the hump and cut the hump out. I will re-insulate the fridge and mount the compressor on a wooden stand behind. After examining it for awhile the compressor should turn out 90 degrees and leave plenty of space to cut through the hump. I'm pretty certain the coolant lines don't run through that space so it's worth a try.

And if I F it all up I'm only out $20.

You could also just cut out the door panel and it should fit. I measured it the other day since I am planning to do the same. Not sure about the bucket, but carboys will fit for sure. Take the door seal off, take the bottle/can holders out of the door, seal back in and good it is

I doubt that opening the door would have that much effect on the efficiency of the unit, it has 5 gallons of thermal mass in there.
Some have made a raised floor in their fridges, or taken out the inner door panel as -Dan- suggests, if you do so, you may want to replace it with a plastic sheet or whiteboard made for bathroom walls.
-Ben

My local Sears has a closeout / floor model 5.5 cu ft. upright freezer. It will more than fit a 6.5 gal bucket...they're just asking a little too much so I might have to talk them down. They want $160...I'd give them $120 for it.

I have a 5.8 cf Magic Chef from Home depot that will hold a BB and more.

krausen.jpg

These type will only go down to 41° unless you bypass the thermostat I use it to control fermentation temps when I don't feel like doing the swamp cooler thing. It holds in the 50's very nicely

krausen.jpg

These type will only go down to 41 unless you bypass the thermostat I use it to control fermentation temps when I don't feel like doing the swamp cooler thing

How much was this fridge?

remove the door panel and cover with some plastic panel. youll fit the bucket or carboy in there.

I used to use a big bucket with a pump to keep the water bath at a consitent temp... then I got a used fridge for free. Now I can ferment up to 20gal in two 1/2BBL kegs sitting side by side - woo hoo!

krausen.jpg

These type will only go down to 41° unless you bypass the thermostat I use it to control fermentation temps when I don't feel like doing the swamp cooler thing. It holds in the 50's very nicely

That looks identical to the one I have. I got mine from Walmart in Canada for $300. Mine has a digital thermostat that goes down to 39F. How did you bypass your thermostat?

17364d345446c5d25.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the same fridge as springer and I'm wondering how to bypass the thermostat. I'm also looking into turning it into a kegorater, but I've heard there are two wires running after the thermostat to the back wall which is right where I would need to drill. Anyone have any experience in this?

Back