How long to put beer in fridge after bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I was just wondering how long most people put their beer in the fridge after they bottle condition it. I have heard everything from a week to an hour or two. Has anyone done any experimentation and actually seen that a longer time in the fridge benefits things? I know it helps to get rid of chill haze, but what do I care if my beer is a little hazy.

Well, you answered you own question then...if you don't care about chill haze then chill it however you want...I chill mine a minimum of 48 hours before drinking...but to get rid of chill haze it's recommended a week...and if you wait a few days you are more than likely gonna get a nice tight sediment layer on the bottom..and that means less sediment when you pour.

And I'm sure some homebrewers can't wait and stick a bunch in the freezer for 45 minutes or so......it's gonna run the gamut...

I don't really get what you are looking for in your question...are you looking for a rationalization for not waiting? It's your beer, do what you want.

:mug:

Haha no you pretty much answered my question. For some reason I thought there might be another added benefit besides the chill haze. I try to do the 48 hours, but sometimes it's just too much.

I try to remember to put them in the fridge a couple of days before, then take them back out about 1/2hr before opening. I find that bringing them back up to 50-55F helps many of my beers "open up" flavorwise.

As you can see by my post count, I'm a complete and utter newb to this whole process. I'm wondering how long you can keep the bottles out of the fridge? Due to the space in the fridge I'm going to be using, I can probably only chill one case at a time, which would mean I'd have a lot of bottles still sitting out at room temperature. Is there any foreseeable problem with that?

Generally speaking, the longer they're conditioning in the bottles, the better. Assuming you're careful in your sanitization, your beer is in amber bottles, and it's stored in a cool dark place, your beer will probably outlive you. As beer ages, the more drastic flavors tend to mellow out, and many people will tell you that beer ages like fine wine.

Most people say that Hefe Weizens or Belgian Wits tend to taste better young, but I doubt you're going to notice the difference that just a few weeks makes.

As you can see by my post count, I'm a complete and utter newb to this whole process. I'm wondering how long you can keep the bottles out of the fridge? Due to the space in the fridge I'm going to be using, I can probably only chill one case at a time, which would mean I'd have a lot of bottles still sitting out at room temperature. Is there any foreseeable problem with that?

It's fine to keep your bottles out of the fridge for months. The reason the OP questioned keeping them IN the fridge is to make sure they are chilled to what some consider a minimum amount of time to create good head and to clear properly.

I like to place a 6er in the fridge if I can and then stick one in the freezer for immediate consumption. They are better after a couple of days in the fridge, but good after a quick chill too.

I really like my bottles to be in the fridge at least 3 days to improve the head and flavors...but that's just me...:D

But I am also guilty of placing some in the freezer for 1/2 hour...:mug:

I did that a few weeks ago. Put one in the freezer, then forgot about it and fell asleep. In the middle of the night I thought I heard a single gunshot (my neighborhood can be sketchy). Next time I opened the freezer I was relieved that it wasn't a gunshot but bummed that I had broken glass and homebrew-slush all over my freezer.

I agree with all said. I have found that the longer it conditions the better it gets. I mean there is a point at which it is done and ready to drink but putting a few in the fridge and leaving the rest in the closet is the way to go because the closet beers can only continue to improve. I have also found that beer tastes better after a few days in the fridge vs a shorter time. I don't know why, but to me it just does.

I have only been brewing about 7 months (7 batches). I have several in drinkable state right now. I have been putting about 6 of each in the fridge and if I get home from work and ddink a couple, I go get a couple out of the closet and replace them, in the back of the line of course.

Dennis

I don't know what it is, but after the brew has been in the fridge for 4 days or so, the flavor is always so much better.

Back