Tips for the Bigfoot Barley Wine Extract Kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deahmx

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that this is only the fourth time I have brewed so I am still learning and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I purchased the Bigfoot kit from Midwest and brewed it last night. I have read a couple of Bigfoot clone recipes and was curious about a couple things...The kit did not have a step (or ingredients) for dry-hopping in the secondary and the recipes did. I was thinking of doing this. Which hops should I use for this? (I am thinking Cascade). I also noticed in some barley wine recipes that they use DME in place of priming sugar during bottling. Is this an improvement, or a way to increase the alcohol content?

Also, if anyone has used this kit, is the timeline given in the instructions accurate? They say a week to a month in the primary and then 6 to 8 weeks in the secondary (with the champagne yeast). All went well with the boil and my O.G was on target. I hear this one is worth the wait.
Thanks

I have never brewed a beer like that and I have also never dry hopped, but I can address the question about priming...

Using DME as a source of priming sugar is perfectly acceptable. In a barleywine, I wouldn't expect it to make any difference, but in some lighter beers being consumed by those who have a very keen sense of taste and smell, sometimes a cidery flavor or aroma may be noticed when using corn sugar as a priming agent. It won't have any effect on the alcohol content that is measurable. You are adding a very small amount of additional sugar at bottling time for the sole purpose of creating some additional fermentation in the bottles to force carbonate the beer. When the remaining active yeasties suspended in your beer consume those new sugars, the process is the same as the primary fermentation. The yeastiebeasties consume the sugar and produce alcohol and carbon dioxide as byproducts. In the sealed bottle, a lot of that carbon dioxide will suspend in the beer, creating the carbonation.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement...I try something new with each batch so this one will be my first dry hopping batch.

I brewed this kit and still have it in primary. I'm not sure about the instructions timeline:

"After the primary fermentation, transfer into a glass carboy for an additional 6-8 weeks. At this time add your champagne yeast and let it sit an additional 6-8 weeks."

Well, dang. I read this as 6-8 weeks in secondary, then pitch the champagne yeast, then wait another 6-8 weeks. So, 12-16 weeks in secondary, total. It looks like the original poster is pitching the champagne yeast when it's transferred to the carboy, and then 6-8 weeks total in secondary.

Not sure what to do now. Is there a reason for it to sit in the carboy awhile before pitching the champagne yeast?

This is only my fifth brew :mug:

I am also kind of new, but as I am interested in a Barley Wine I have been doing some reading.

First off, there is a good amount of discussion about how kit instructions usually rush the timeline.

Second, it is about completing the fermentation. My understanding is that in high OG beer the yeast can "poop out" due to the increasing alcohol content. Look up your yeast's alcohol tolerance. By adding champange yeast (higher alcohol tolerance) you should be able complete the fermentation. Perhaps (this is speculation) giving the original yeast time by itself will establish a taste profile. Then the champagne yeast will come to clean up the remaining sugars and complete the fermentation.

My guess is that if you want more specific help it would probably be good to post the recipe, OG, and yeast originally pitched.

Wow. Turns out Midwest answers questions on Saturdays! That's great customer service.

They said I should rehydrate the champagne yeast with a bit of DME added and then pitch the yeast at the same time that I move the beer into the carboy.

Cool. I know we won't be drinking this until next year, but I am really excited to see how it turns out.

So far we've made their Honey Porter, Irish Stout, Pyramid ESB, Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, and Bigfoot's Barleywine extract kits. Plus yesterday I brewed the Superior Strong Ale extract kit. And I just ordered the Oatmeal Stout and Powerpack Porter kits. The Honey Porter, Irish Stout, and Pyramid ESB are already half-way gone! :drunk:

I brewed this kit and still have it in primary. I'm not sure about the instructions timeline:

"After the primary fermentation, transfer into a glass carboy for an additional 6-8 weeks. At this time add your champagne yeast and let it sit an additional 6-8 weeks."

Well, dang. I read this as 6-8 weeks in secondary, then pitch the champagne yeast, then wait another 6-8 weeks. So, 12-16 weeks in secondary, total. It looks like the original poster is pitching the champagne yeast when it's transferred to the carboy, and then 6-8 weeks total in secondary.

Not sure what to do now. Is there a reason for it to sit in the carboy awhile before pitching the champagne yeast?

This is only my fifth brew :mug:
Move beer to 2nd and add yeast at the same time

Back