hops at room temp---I know RDWHAHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
So I ordered a pound or so of hops from fresh hops and they were gonna be delivered monday. Well, for the first time ever...the post office did not leave them at my door. Instead, they gave me a slip to pick up at the post office. Of course, this is impossible to to my work schedule vs post office hours, so I scheduled a re-delivery online for today(the soonest day it would let me). Well, they didn't deliver them today. So my question is, if I can't get to the post office 'til saturday, will this affect the AA% of the hops? I assume the post office warehouse is somewhere between 70 and 90F, so they would be at that temp for roughly 10 days.

I know, I know I need to RDWHAHB, but I'm real picky with my ingredients.

not the end of the world....your gonna lose a little bit of AA but humans cant taste minute differences in IBU's. I doubt you could taste the difference between 30 and 35. Id venture to say you could even have a wider spread if its on the higher end and you wouldnt be able to taste the difference either.

Storage stability in hops is usually measured in drop of AA% after 6 months at room temperature, and most are still fine after that period. I wouldn't worry at all.

remember, hops are a preservative in beer- dont worry about them going bad too quickly

its LIGHT that is the #1 enemy of hops, BTW, so thats what you have to watch out for- as long as they are still sealed (probably in mylar like most of them come) you are fine

Maybe i'm just a paranoid freak, but I'd be more worried some "do-gooder" thought they were contraband and that's why you have to come down and pick them up.
/paranioa

Back