Homebrew club souteast Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvanecek

Reaction score
Happy New Year to everyone out there. I have a friend out in Grand Rapids that is a member of a local brew club and he loves it. He recommended that I ask around to see if there are any local clubs in the area. I am still pretty much a rookie in the homebrew world but I am looking at taking my skills to the next level. Is anyone aware of a local brewing club that meets monthly to brew?

Happy New Year to everyone out there. I have a friend out in Grand Rapids that is a member of a local brew club and he loves it. He recommended that I ask around to see if there are any local clubs in the area. I am still pretty much a rookie in the homebrew world but I am looking at taking my skills to the next level. Is anyone aware of a local brewing club that meets monthly to brew?

Depending on where you live there's three that I can think of off hand...

CRAFT
Society of North Oakland Brewers (snob)
Richmond Wort Hogs...

We also have an online brew club here and many of us get together to brew...I've even brought my gear down to a member's place for a groupbrew and to give a lesson...

Click on the link in my sig for the Michigan Mashers and join that, and if you post this same question in there you will probably get a hit from members of snobs or craft (I don't think any worthogs are on here) I have a loose association with the Worthogs through my nephew who is the vintner for them. But I'm not a member.)

We're also starting a club here in Port Huron the the LHBS in town...but personally I've been doing a lot more through the Mashers on here...We're a great group.

We're even planning a Brew Camp up north this summer.

Welcome

:mug:

There's a few of us in SE Michigan..
I'm in the Pontiac/Waterford area and I belong to SNOBs.

I know a few other Michigan guys belong to CRAFT and like it.

Otherwise, as Revvy said, join the Mashers, settle in and have fun!

I was told though and it surprised me becasue I have tasted their beer at teach a friend to homebrew day, that Craft only brews together as a group at those functions (Spring and fall brew day) and that's it...There meeting are more social?

I know the Worthogs brew together on a regular basis...

I was told though and it surprised me becasue I have tasted their beer at teach a friend to homebrew day, that Craft only brews together as a group at those functions (Spring and fall brew day) and that's it...There meeting are more social?

I know the Worthogs brew together on a regular basis...

Honestly, im not sure how they do brew days.
I know that they do social meetings as well.. One of my friends was trying to get me to go to one this week at Sherwood. They have stuff like that from time to time that I know of.

I like SNOBs because, well, its very close to my house, so I don't have to drive 45 minutes to get to a meeting... And, its a Hopmans related club and I have so much respect for Rick and Johnny, that it makes me want to support the club they're involved with. SNOBs seems much more "down to Earth" too.

Keep in mind, im not down on CRAFT at all. I can't give them an opinion because they're too far for me to go hang out with.

Keep in mind, im not down on CRAFT at all. I can't give them an opinion because they're too far for me to go hang out with.

I'm not saying you are...I have a nodding aquaintance with them now through a couple years of TAFTB days at cap-n-cork, and the beer they bring is fantastic. I was just surprised that they didn't do group brew days..

Does SNOBS? It seems to me that's the funnest part of a club...regular group brews. I know the Worthogs do bulk buys on stuff and brew or make wine together at their pole barn off Gratiot in RIchmond...The also have an octoberfest tasting and a spring wine tasting event. Pretty fun.

Snobs is too far for me...I know they do the judging for the Ren Fest...what other stuff do you guys do?

I'm not saying you are...I have a nodding aquaintance with them now through a couple years of TAFTB days at cap-n-cork, and the beer they bring is fantastic. I was just surprised that they didn't do group brew days..

Does SNOBS? It seems to me that's the funnest part of a club...regular group brews. I know the Worthogs do bulk buys on stuff and brew or make wine together at their pole barn off Gratiot in RIchmond...The also have an octoberfest tasting and a spring wine tasting event. Pretty fun.

Snobs is too far for me...I know they do the judging for the Ren Fest...what other stuff do you guys do?

No, I know you didn't say/think that. I just wanted to make sure no one else thought that's what I was doing.

Yeah, SNOBS does brew days. A few times a year actually.
It's a very low-key group. I think that's because its new(er). Hopefully as they grow and age a bit, the group will become a bit more... Seen?

Thanks reevey and captn. I joined your online club. I live by royal oak so Pontiac may be a little far. Is that where snob brews. I will go on your forum and repost the question.

Maybe one of you guys can answer a quick question. I brewed a wheat beer keged it nov 15. When I tried it the other day there was a strong banana taste. It was fermented at the correct temp so not sure what the deal is. Any chance aging would cure this. I have removed it from the fridge and figures I would give it some more time. Thoughts

They seemed to go downhill after both Paul left and my nephew didn't run again for vitner after 2 years. Last I heard from them they were mostly a drinking club than a brewing club, and that was a couple years back.

In fact I haven't seen any members or former members even at the Natl Brew days at Cap and Cork, Paul comes to all of them and Norm of course works Saturdays there, but that's about it. Michael Piper is around (and sometimes posting on here as "I hate Howard."

Too bad they faded out. They had a good thing going, My whole family, especially my 87 year old mom loved the beer and wine tasting they did every year.

There is another club that meets at the Malty Dog Brewery in Southfield. They meet the seconds Tuesday at 7Pm Each month at the brewery. They meet at an alternate brewery once per quarter.

Great group of guys in the Malty Dogs, and the Malty Dog Brewery rocks! Everyone's welcome to attend the meetings - 2nd Tuesday of every month at 7 pm. There are no dues to pay and you are not obligated to bring any homebrew but, of course, are welcome to do so. You can also buy ingredients and supplies there. PM me if you want to be added to the email list so you can be kept informed of upcoming meetings and events.

I'm downriver. There is a group down here too. I've had the best intentions of meeting up and checking them out but they meet on Friday, which generally doesn't work for me.

This board is a great virtual brew club though, and folks do meet up from time to time.

I'm downriver. There is a group down here too. I've had the best intentions of meeting up and checking them out but they meet on Friday, which generally doesn't work for me.

This board is a great virtual brew club though, and folks do meet up from time to time.

Some of us meet up quite a lot. And brew together. Some of us may do so this weekend. Also we get together and go to Dragonmead on occasions. In fact last week thickhead and his wife from here came to town and wanted to get together.

iPhone_270.JPG

Thickhead and his gorgeous wife on the right. Bill (whose hbt name I can't recall he doesn't post here much) and me standing up.

I know this is old, but....

FWIW, I did join CRAFT a few months ago. They all seem like a great group of guys, and I've seen many of them picking up ingredients at Cap n Cork.

Unfortunately, life has happened the last few months, and I haven't been able to go. I believe there's a meeting at Sherwood at 7pm on Thursday May 10th, and I'm really going to try and make that one, at least for a few hours.

Hey I know this is Late and somewhat off the topic. But I found this thread after a google search while looking for a homebrew club in the Wayne county area. So does anyone know of one near Dearborn, Detroit, or anywhere in that area?
Thank You
-Alex

the closest club to you is probably the Motor City Mashers. They are based out of Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor. But the best club is CRAFT ;-)

Hey I know this is Late and somewhat off the topic. But I found this thread after a google search while looking for a homebrew club in the Wayne county area. So does anyone know of one near Dearborn, Detroit, or anywhere in that area?
Thank You
-Alex

Your best bet would be the malty dogs in Southfield. They meet at the Malty dog brewery on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7Pm. Next meeting is tomorrow.

Come Join us.

Back