Schmitz Process/ Full Decoction, Partial Mashing, and Late Extract Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
Alright, I'm trying to develop a recipe/process to brew a partial mash, gluten free beer in a two gallon cooler. The problem with gluten free grains, besides having to malt them myself and their low enzyme levels, is that "they have a high gelatinisation temperature (higher than normal mash temperatures), hence a normal infusion mash will not work." So BYO's Partial Mashing, Batch Sparging and Late Extract Method is a nice place to start, but I can't follow it exactly. I decide to take what I could from it and combine it with info on the Schmitz Process (Brewing Gluten-free Beer) to create the Schmitz Process/ Full Decoction, Partial Mashing, and Late Extract Method.

I have very little brewing experience and no partial or all grain experience, so I was wondering if someone could take a look at what I'm trying to do and point out any problems or suggestions they might see.

I'll start with my intended recipe:

GF Porter
2.5 lbs.* Malted quinoa (Toasting level TBD)
1 lbs.* Malted amaranth (Toasting level TBD)
8 oz* Dark roasted buckwheat
3-4 lbs Sorghum syrup (late addition, adjust to OG)
12 fl oz Molasses
6-8 oz Cocoa nibs (2 weeks in secondary)
2 beans Vanilla (2 weeks in secondary)
1 tbl Irish Moss (15 min.)
1 oz Bittering Hops (60 min)
1 oz Flavoring Hops (15 min)
1tsp/gal Amylase enzyme (if needed)
1 pkg Windsor Ale yeast
8 oz Maltodextrin
¾-⅞ C Corn Sugar (priming)
*Adjust Total Grain Bill to 4 lbs.

OG: 1.044 FG: 1.008 ABV: 4.6%

1. Finely grind GF malt in coffee grinder or food processor (buckwheat can have normal grind) and put into grain bag.
2. Heat .7 gallons of water to 104 °F
4. Slowly lower grain bag into brew pot. Make sure there are no dry pockets of grain by poking with a spoon and dunking. Add malt and then let it rest for 20 minutes.
5. Adjust pH to 5.1.
6. Add 1.5 gallons water to bring temp to 122 °F and rest for 20 minutes.
7. Remove heat and let water settle for 20 minutes.
8. Carefully remove fluid above the grist and put into separate container. Try to leave starch behind. (I'm not sure how much of the "thin wort," will be removed and therefore my water additions my be improvised)
9. Add .5 gallons of hot water to "thick" wort and boil for 20 minutes and remove grain.
10. Continue boiling until total volume of both worts equals 2 gallons.
11. Cool to 149 °F and add thin wort to it.
12. Bring wort back up to 149 °F and transfer into 2 gallon cooler.
13. Put the lid on the cooler and set a timer for 1 hour.
14. Feel around the cooler and cover any warm spots and insulate them.
15. While the grains are mashing, heat .5 gal of water to boil in the brew pot.
16. After 1 hour, do the iodine test and decide to give mash another ½ hour.
17. Perform 2nd iodine test and continue or give up and reheat, test/correct ph and add amylase enzyme and commence waiting.
18. After Mash is complete, open lid on cooler and immediately pour the wort into the .5 gallons of boiling water to stop the enzymatic activity (mashout).
20. Continue heating the brew pot to a moderate boil.
21. Add bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes.
22. At 45 minute mark, add molasses, sorghum syrup, maltodextrin, Irish moss and flavor hops. Continue boiling for 15 minutes.
23. Cool wort in ice bath to 70 °F, transfer to primary fermenter and add water to 5 gallons. Aerate and add yeast per directions on package.

1. Finely grind GF malt in coffee grinder or food processor (buckwheat can have normal grind) and put into grain bag.
2. Heat .7 gallons of water to 104 °F
4. Slowly lower grain bag into brew pot. Make sure there are no dry pockets of grain by poking with a spoon and dunking. Add malt and then let it rest for 20 minutes.
5. Adjust pH to 5.1.
6. Add 1.5 gallons water to bring temp to 122 °F and rest for 20 minutes.
7. Remove heat and let water settle for 20 minutes.
8. Carefully remove fluid above the grist and put into separate container. Try to leave starch behind. (I'm not sure how much of the "thin wort," will be removed and therefore my water additions my be improvised)
9. Add .5 gallons of hot water to "thick" wort and boil for 20 minutes and remove grain.
10. Continue boiling until total volume of both worts equals 2 gallons.
11. Cool to 149 °F and add thin wort to it.
12. Bring wort back up to 149 °F and transfer into 2 gallon cooler.
13. Put the lid on the cooler and set a timer for 1 hour.
14. Feel around the cooler and cover any warm spots and insulate them.
15. While the grains are mashing, heat .5 gal of water to boil in the brew pot.
16. After 1 hour, do the iodine test and decide to give mash another ½ hour.
17. Perform 2nd iodine test and continue or give up and reheat, test/correct ph and add amylase enzyme and commence waiting.
18. After Mash is complete, open lid on cooler and immediately pour the wort into the .5 gallons of boiling water to stop the enzymatic activity (mashout).
20. Continue heating the brew pot to a moderate boil.
21. Add bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes.
22. At 45 minute mark, add molasses, sorghum syrup, maltodextrin, Irish moss and flavor hops. Continue boiling for 15 minutes.
23. Cool wort in ice bath to 70 °F, transfer to primary fermenter and add water to 5 gallons. Aerate and add yeast per directions on package.

Did you ever give this a shot? I found an Aussie recipe that described their "Decoction Method" and it's VERY similar to what you described above. Here it is, I translated it to farenheit and gallons

Recipe:
4.5 lb Malted Buckwheat (roasted at 200-F for 2 hours)
2.25 lb Brown Rice Syrup
2.25 lb Honey
.75 lb Rice Hulls
1 oz Horizon (60)
1 oz Saaz (10)
.5 oz Saaz (Dry Hop)
1 t Irish Moss (15)
Safale US-04

Mash Directions:
1. Mash Buckwheat with .75 lb rice hulls in 2.5 gallons of water, hold at 104-F for 30 min
2. Heat to 122-F for 30 min
3. Remove clear wort above the grist, about .5-.75 gallons and let cool to 80-F
4. Add .75 gallons of water to mash and raise to 185-F for 30 min
5. Cool to 158-F and add cooled clear wort, maintain 140-145 degrees for 90 min
6. Heat to 155-F and hold for 30 min
7. Sparge with 170-F water to collect around 3-4 gallons
8. Top up to 5.25 gallons adding rice syrup and follow normal brewing process adding honey dissolved in .5 gallons of water and cooled to cooled wort
9. Top up to 6 gallons and pitch yeast

I think these two are similar, but I've not tried it yet and it seems like a lengthy process done in a large brew pot, which I don't have.

Back