WLP670 Farmhouse Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrain666

Reaction score
Does anyone have some experience with this strain/blend?

I recently brewed a fairly standard saison recipe with a mash temp of 148. I split the wort into 3 gallon and 5 gallon fermenters with an OG of 1.053.

The 3 gallon got 3711 without a starter and the 5 gallon got the 670 blend, also without a starter. I figured at that OG, a starter would not be necessary.

The 3 gallon batch reached FG of 1.006, while the 5 gallon seems to have stopped at 1.015. After 2 weeks, it has not changed. This blend is supposed to have Brett which I know may take more time to eat away some of the sugars. But to see no change in 2 weeks seems a bit odd. The beer actually tastes great, similar to Colette. However, I would like it to be drier.

So, should I just wait and see? Maybe I should work up a starter of 3711 and pitch that in to see if it will dry out a bit more.

As you assumed, you should just wait. The 670 portion could take 2-3 months to fully attenuate. If at that point you think it hasnt fully attenuated you can either give it more time, warm it up, or add some yeast to help it attenuate but most likely there wont be much left for a sacch strain to eat.

My Brett Saisons usually stay on the cake for the entire 2-3 months as the brett munches away slowly.

Back