Any homebrewers in Alabama ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I love that. Just couldn't believe it. Very sad, you guys need to pick up some pitch forks for christ's sake. This is America and this is your representative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZoTJzh13n8

And more. You've got to hear this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVqnUf8NH6g&playnext=1&list=PLD65D5D017DF55F7D&feature=results_main

The amazing thing, and you could have knocked me over with a feather, is that in the end Holmes said he would support the bill and it seems he was true to his word!

http://www.alahomebrewing.org/news

HB 9 approved in senate committee but needs to be placed on the calendar to go up for full vote in Senate. Time is running out in this legislative session. Please contact the senators on the rules committed to urge them to place the bill on the calendar.

HB 9 is rumored to be on the Senate special order calendar for 5/7/13. The Senate convenes at noon. Contact your senators in the morning!

For those of you keeping up with this thread, HB 9 was unexpectedly brought up in the Senate last night and passed! Now it goes to Dr. Bob for signature. Check out the posts on righttobrew.org and give them some love for keeping up support for the cause

mmcouch said:
For those of you keeping up with this thread, HB 9 was unexpectedly brought up in the Senate last night and passed! Now it goes to Dr. Bob for signature. Check out the posts on righttobrew.org and give them some love for keeping up support for the cause

Meant to say alabamahomebrewing.org

Contact the Governor and ask him to sign the bill. This is important! It takes about a minute...

So, please go to http://governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx, and fill out the form with your information. Choose "Legislative Session 2013" from the "Email Concerning which Issue" choices. And in the "Comments", in your own words, politely ask the governor to sign HB9, the Homebrew Bill.

I live in Huntsville and i cant find anyone here that brews beer! Id join.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are a lot of home brewers in the Huntsville area. Look up Rocket City Brewers. Our next meeting is on March 11.

This is typical rammer jammer allerbama on that video. Murika.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Home Brew mobile app

This is typical rammer jammer allerbama on that video. Murika.

Alvin Holmes didn't go to the University of Alabama, so there's nothing typical about him being a "Rammer Jammer Allerbammer" (or whatever you said). He went to ASU in Montgomery.

This is a beer thread; not a Crimson Tide thread. I come here from time to time to see if there are any homebrewers in my area... much like the thread's title suggests.

It wasn't a crimson tide comment. It was a comment about idiocy.

I am a HSV home brewer as well.

i am actually in Birmingham but moving back to Huntsville this coming week and am a bit worried, here in bham there is a rather nice supply store called Hop City. but in Huntsville i can not find anything near its magnitude. i would really not like to order from online retailers and pay outrageous shipping fees but i am starting to see no other way even though Huntsville seems to have a rather thriving craft beer scene. is there somewhere im missing in Huntsville for supplies?

i am actually in Birmingham but moving back to Huntsville this coming week and am a bit worried, here in bham there is a rather nice supply store called Hop City. but in Huntsville i can not find anything near its magnitude. i would really not like to order from online retailers and pay outrageous shipping fees but i am starting to see no other way even though Huntsville seems to have a rather thriving craft beer scene. is there somewhere im missing in Huntsville for supplies?

I'm not sure about local stores in B'ham, but Brewmaster's Warehouse is near Atlanta and has $6.99 flat rate shipping. It appears that they may have their act together after having some trouble. You would probably get stuff from them the day after it ships.

Rebel Brewer is based in Tennessee, and they have reasonable prices and shipping on most things. Everything I've ordered has been delivered to me in a day or two down in West Alabama.

You must not use google or been in BHM long. ALABREW has been in BHM for 20yrs & is 10x better then HOPCITY. HOPCITY is VERY LIMITED. http://www.homebrewingstoredirectory.com/store-directory/home-brewing-supply-stores-in-alabama/
ALABREW is in PELHAM http://www.alabrew.com

is there somewhere im missing in Huntsville for supplies?

Wish You Were Beer on the outskirts of Madison has a decent selection of equipment/supplies and a fantastic selection of craft beers. It's on Highway 72 near Knuckleheads sports bar. Good selection of Brewers Best kits, liquid and dry yeast, specialty grains, cleaning/sanitation chemicals, etc.

Also, if you're desperate, Pearly Gates Health Food Store in Huntsville has quite a bit of stuff. From my experience however, some of the folks there aren't very knowledgeable and their supplies look to be a bit dusty and stale. YMMV.

And finally, if you venture over to the taproom at Straight to Ale and ask nicely, they will sell you bulk grain at their cost. It's dependent on supply, but if they have extra they will hook you up. I bought a sack of 2 row for around $35 last time I was over there. They have also provided me with yeast. Just bring in a sanitized Mason Jar and they will give you some of what they have brewing (usually WLP001 or WLP002). Very nice people and big supporters of the homebrew community. The taproom opens at 3 pm.

Good info on the last post. Wish You Were Beer is a good resource, and the owner is steadily increasing his stock of Homebrew supplies. Talk to the owner (Damon) if there is something specific you are looking for and not seeing at his shop. WYWB is the only local supply of liquid yeast right now.

Pearly Gates has a bad reputation, but I honestly think they are getting better. I would describe it as a place to go for extract or extract with specialty grains brewing, but not so much for all grain brewing. Their inventory seems to be turning over quicker, so less issues with old supplies than in the past.

Depending on where you live in Huntsville, one shop might be more convenient than the other.

Rebel Brewer's standard ground FedEx shipping is overnight to Huntsville.

Also, check out the local Homebrew Clubs. Rocket City Brewers has been around since the mid-80's. They meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

There is a newer club in Huntsville as well...Huntsville Hopheads Homebrew Club (H3C). Their next meeting is April 16th.

I order everything online. Pearly gates has a small selection for hardware but I question the freshness of ingredients. Plus their hours are sporadic making them unreliable.

Going to my first Rocket City Brewers meeting tonight, anybody else?

I get most of my hardware from WYWB. Often their prices are comparable to online. Haven't checked out Pearly Gates yet.

I get most of my hardware from WYWB. Often their prices are comparable to online. Haven't checked out Pearly Gates yet.

I'll be at the meeting (not my first time). My name is Jason...make sure you introduce yourself!

ya pearly gates was kinda depressing tbh, havent been to wish you were beer yet. i would much prefer to buy from a local store than to buy online but if i could just get good quality basics i would be happy.

never whent to alabrew because i never go to pelham.

ya pearly gates was kinda depressing tbh, havent been to wish you were beer yet. i would much prefer to buy from a local store than to buy online but if i could just get good quality basics i would be happy.

never whent to alabrew because i never go to pelham.

You can get everything you need at WYWB, but their selection of LME and base malts is a bit limited. They have started to get some 10 lb bags of 2 row, but it's definitely more economical to buy a 50 lb sack from Straight to Ale.

Another option if you venture down I-65 towards B-ham is Werner's Trading Co. in Cullman. They've got a decent selection of equipment and supplies as well.

And then if you're up for a road trip or happen to be in Nashville, Rebel Brewer has just about everything you might need. Takes me right at 2 hours to drive from Madison.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience. I was planning on going, but I'm in PA this week on travel. I talked to one guy that went to a meeting about a year ago that didn't care for the atmosphere. He was a noob and said that due to all of the engineers in the club, they had somewhat of a technical bent that didn't fit his approach. He was looking for somewhere to socialize, trade recipes, and enjoy some homebrew as opposed to discussing programming of PID controllers.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience. I was planning on going, but I'm in PA this week on travel. I talked to one guy that went to a meeting about a year ago that didn't care for the atmosphere. He was a noob and said that due to all of the engineers in the club, they had somewhat of a technical bent that didn't fit his approach. He was looking for somewhere to socialize, trade recipes, and enjoy some homebrew as opposed to discussing programming of PID controllers.

I think he should give it another chance. I enjoyed the meeting, tasted some nice brews talked equipment (nothing too technical) and socialized. (Turns out I knew two people there from college) I was just looking for people to talk to about brewing because my friends are clueless and just want to drink the beer.

My beer wasn't well received but I should have known better than to bring an extract brew (all I had available) . I was reassured that it wasn't the worst beer brought to a meeting though.

Any of you local North Alabama guys need equipment? I don't really brew anymore and I want to get the stuff out of the shop. I want to give local guys first dibs. Price is probably negotiable.

I don't have a full list yet, but I've got a couple of temp controllers, some Corny kegs, a 28 gallon brew kettle, filter and filter pump, a high temp pump, various fittings, etc, etc. If there's any interest I'll get a list together.

Any of you local North Alabama guys need equipment? I don't really brew anymore and I want to get the stuff out of the shop. I want to give local guys first dibs. Price is probably negotiable.

I don't have a full list yet, but I've got a couple of temp controllers, some Corny kegs, a 28 gallon brew kettle, filter and filter pump, a high temp pump, various fittings, etc, etc. If there's any interest I'll get a list together.

I'd be interested in seeing your list and prices. I got a buddy who's ready to buy a pump....

Im sad I waited till I moved from HSV to start homebrewing. Lots more people on this site from there and now it seems there are places to buy supplies too. The same cant be said about here in Anniston however. I have to order online or drive to ATL or Bham, or wait until I come back home to visit family.

Im sad I waited till I moved from HSV to start homebrewing. Lots more people on this site from there and now it seems there are places to buy supplies too. The same cant be said about here in Anniston however. I have to order online or drive to ATL or Bham, or wait until I come back home to visit family.

I'm a Jacksonville resident and I know what you mean. Maybe someday Anniston will get a homebrew store.

I'm a Jacksonville resident and I know what you mean. Maybe someday Anniston will get a homebrew store.

Hey neighbor, my wife is a JSU Alum, we actually got married in her campus apartment so Im very familiar with jacksonville. I wish someone would open a store here, I stopped by HopCity in Bham last weekend and they had most of the essentials but even more impressively a ton of different beers. I picked up a few brewing supplies and a six pack

Hey neighbor, my wife is a JSU Alum, we actually got married in her campus apartment so Im very familiar with jacksonville. I wish someone would open a store here, I stopped by HopCity in Bham last weekend and they had most of the essentials but even more impressively a ton of different beers. I picked up a few brewing supplies and a six pack

Greetings,

Yes, Hop City is very impressive so far as what you can buy in bottles and I like to stop by there whenever we are going to go somewhere near to it. They have a nice tap selection too. My little boys loved sitting at the bar and having some root beer while I looked around. For homebrewing supplies, Alabrew is certainly much better, unless you want a WYeast strain--Hop City has that.

Since seeing this thread, I would like to ask if there are any current and active clubs meeting anywhere which are accepting members?

Sorry for the hijack.

Back