Missed my OG-Mini mash kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I just brewed a new Budget Pale Ale kit from Austin Home Brew. Everything went well. But I missed my OG by a whopping .04, not gonna worry about it. Maybe drop my ABV by a little bit. Was wondering...I took my sample AFTER I pitched my yeast( I know I'm supposed to take it before pitching). Will that make a difference in the OG?

Adding the yeast before taking your gravity should not make much of a difference. If anything I would think it would raise the OG slightly. Did you use any top up water with the kit. If you did that is likely the cause of the difference. An uneven mix when adding the water. That is assuming that you used all the ingredients and ended up with the proper volume.

AHB kits are pretty easy (but very good) and I have to think that you just measured a bad area of your wort. I bet you are in reality real close to your OG - UNLESS - they have the recipe wrong (it's happened).

Might have topped off to much too. says to top off to 5.25 gallons. I filled up to the 1st ridge on the 6.5 gal bucket(Brewers Best).

Latest posts

Back