blueberry recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for a light and crisp blueberry ale, something similar to Sea Dog wild blueberry. preferably all grain. any suggestions?

do you suggest concentrate, whole blueberries, blueberry slurry, etc.... i heard that the yeast just eats up all the sweet flavor of blueberries and leaves the tartiness and aroma. does using concentrate keep any of the sweeteness?

To be honest i'm trying it out now for the first time. I went w/ concentrate. Though I'm using strawberry. From what I've read if you want a real "blueberry flavor" concentrate is the way to go. I'm just worried I may have added too much.....could probably try one today, should be carbed by now.

I haven't used blueberry but I have used other fruits and done a lot of research on this. I think I would use fresh blueberries, pasteurize, and puree. I would put those in the secondary. I would also consider using some three olives blueberry vodka to sanitize the blueberries and then add the vodka and blueberries together.

Anyways, the next important step would be at bottling. That's when you would want to add a little blueberry extract to really get the blueberry aroma.

You could also consider adding spices to the secondary, like vanilla beans, to accentuate the blueberry flavor.

Cheers.

Back