Well this is what I get for having too many beers on brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notaburger

Reaction score
So I was making my first lambic today (I decided to go with the Steve Piatz recipe) and it was crazy hot outside. I got everything done but I couldn't get the wort down below 120 or so (good old texas). So I figured that since I was throwing in another 2.5 gallons that I didn't boil, everything would be fine and I'd let it rest for a bit. Well, I was talking with a friend and then I instinctively threw in my wyest lambic blend. The temperature of the wort had to be about 100 degrees. After realizing my mistake, I took it into a bathtub and ran cold water around it. Now the carboy is in my kegerator because I didn't know what else to do with it. So what does everyone think? Ride it out and see what happens? Reboil the beer to kill any yeast and repitch? Just repitch with a fresh pack? I'm at a loss here. This is the first time that I've done something like this and to top it all off, it's with a blend of yeasts. My greatest fear is that I stressed the yeast and killed off the brett or something.

Does anyone have any advice (or similar experiences)?

Thanks,

Dave

At 100 degrees F, you've got nothing to worry about. This is certainly within yeast's tolerable temperature range.

You're supposed to rehydrate yeast at 110F, so obviously that temp won't hurt the yeast. But there's a huge difference between optimal temps for yeast survival and optimal temps for drinkable beer.
You cooled it off fast enough that you didn't hurt the beer so I wouldn't worry.

Well primary fermentation had kicked off last night before 4 (which is when I felt it was cool enough to remove from the kegerator). Today I woke up to a happy bubbling better bottle. So far everything looks healthy and smells correct, so I just might have lucked out.

Thanks guys.

IMG_20120624_125913.jpg

Back