brew day gravity readings and next day readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustynails223

Reaction score
I brewed an irish red ale last night and my preboil gravity was 1.042 and my O.G was 1.059. I kept the sample on the table and when I check it today its only a 1.030. The temps I checked at were 68 degrees both times. I thought maybe the sample just settled, so I mixed it all up and checked again and am still only getting a 1.030. The brew seemed to go well and I am leaning towards my drunken brew day readings more than the sober ones I took today. any Ideas what might be going on here?

It's possible that you just have a fast fermentation going. I never trust satellite samples so I would leave it for 2 weeks and then take a new sample to test with.

Wait...only? Was the sample taken before of after pitching the yeast?

If after, then it's probably as earwig says; if before and you're wondering why it's now reading 1.030 then chances are some wild yeast or bacteria got into the open wort and started fermenting it.

Back