Arizona Hop Garden Via Texas EdWort Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ed I owe you some beer :mug:.Saw your post and I knew that was how I wanted to set up my Hop Garden as I had some free 1 inch EMT poles 60 ft.
and Rail Road ties left over from some other garden projects.

We are going to try our luck here in Hot and Sunny Arizona :D .
Will continue to up date this post.

Here are a few pictures of the ground work.

breaking ground.jpg

working hard.jpg

soaker hose.jpg

more hose.jpg

the good stuff.jpg

great collection. are you going to grow all those on that one tripod? or are you building several? seems like a lot of hops for just one... they'll get all tangled together and it'll be hard to tell them apart at harvest.

That setup looks sweet, but 6 or 7 on the tripod will also result in you being unsure of what exactly you are harvesting. I would consider mixing only what you would use interchangably, or devote that tripod to a style (IPA?). Again though, that thing looks solid and should guarantee some monster yields in the not-too-distant-future.

On the other hand, if you devoted the tripod to plants whose cones are clearly distinguishable from each other (I am no expert on which those would be), that would work too.

@ Arrowhead
We are going with 8 hops on it, Cascade, Centennial, Sterling, Mt. Hood we have good spacing and I am not too worried about them being tangled up top we can lower them down and deal with that once it happens if need be.

Any tips on how to mange them when they are that high?

Chuck:

What do you mean by manage? I think having the ability to lower the trellis is a great idea. Ladders that high make me worry.

Once an if we are lucky and they shoot upto 20 feet ,should I cut them back or let go on
I am not to worried about if mixing them together if i can not tell which one is with as they will all aroma hops on the trellis ,i can untangle them and won't stress if some will be mixed up.

be prepared to have a lot of them mixed up. once they run out of vertical climbing supports, they will flop about and create a rat's nest as they grow around each other. many types of hops produce the majority of their cones at the top part of the plant (i.e. within the rat's nest). untangling them might not be an option, you'll end up ripping the bines but not separating them.

growing centennial and cascade near each other is a good idea since they are relatively similar and can be used in the same recipes. maybe dedicate the trellis to "IPA hops" so anything you can't distinguish can go in your "mystery IPA hops" collection.

or, as you say, you could not worry about it and just have a giant mystery hop collection that could have anything from williamette to columbus :mug: personally i would find that a tad limiting since you can't control what's going in your brew (i.e. aim for a style), then again it's kinda fun to not know how hoppy your wheat beer is gonna turn out.

On the tripod or teepee;)it'a all aroma hops or dual hops the rest will be in planters I have more aroma hops then bittering. and use them for IPA or a HOP HEAD ALE:tank:
I am not a big hoppy beer fan:D I am looking to see how they grow and have fun doing it and maybe enjoy a big hoppy with my own hops ,plus I will be the only big kid on the block who
has a big hop teepee:fro:

ChuckCollins said:
:mug:Well our hops are planted,We did every thing we could do for a happy home for them and will watch out for them,as they grow and will care for them thru out the summer,
The rhizome are from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arrowhead-Hops/199155133452979 awesome.And Andy was very easy to do business
with and sent a few extra rhizome's for free:)

Crap. They are a lot nicer looking then the ones i got. Did u order jumbos or something?

@Crito no Where did you buy your rhizome's? I think that the ones from Arrowhead
are great and they care about the quality of their rhizome's will buy from them again.

Same place. Mine were healthy. Guess u got.lucky. i am not complaining. Just wondering if there was.another option on ordering. I recommend them as well. Youtube reviews show other places the same size as mine for 2 bucks more a pop.

my Nugget and brewers gold are doing well. My cascade and Whillmate have not poked through yet. I am hoping any day.

Back