Experience ordering grains to Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzilla

Reaction score
Hi!

Does anyone have any experience ordering grains or other ingredients from abroad to Japan?

I'm wondering about customs fees, legality, etc.

I've recently experienced a bit of trouble with one of the few domestic venders here and want to order elsewhere if possible.

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to place an order myself. I've ordered hops from the US a couple of times with no issues whatsoever. The boxes cleared customs same day, and they clearly say "hops for brewing" on the manifest. They arrived in 8-10 d (mail seems to go much faster in the opposite direction). Only down side is I had to pay $60 in shipping to get 5 lbs (no additional customs fees were requested), but with the yen as strong as it is and the dollar generally weak lately, it's not that bad compared to the prices at the two places I know here. Certainly the selection and freshness is MUCH better.

Not sure about the legality. I'm sure you're only brewing beer with <1% ABV like I do ;).

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I dunno if you've used Advanced Brewing, but I'm having a lot of trouble with them repeatedly screwing up....I'd love to be able to not deal with them. So sad since the first time I ordered everything went great!

Too bad I'm far from Tokyo or maybe we could have gone in on the shipping together. Anyway, where are you ordering from?

Btw, I ONLY brew with <1% ABV. Doesn't everyone??? ;)

Yes, Advanced Brewing is who I have ordered from in the past. I haven't had any real screw ups or trouble, but they are almost always out of several of the items I want at any given time. Furthermore, their grain selection is very weak--at least for the styles I prefer to brew. I'm planning to order from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. They've told me they can ship to Japan. All of the places I ordered from while I lived in the US will not ship here. This will be my first order from FBS so I have no idea how it will work out.

I see that you're brewing some pretty interesting beers!! I like that you've used some local ingredients.

Keep us posted on how the delivery of those grains from Farmhouse Brewing Supply goes. If it works out well I'd like to use them too!

BZ, even with held shipments at customs, you have awesome sushi/sashimi, right?

Back