GFCI 30 amp cords extinct? Question on GFCI breaker too...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a 30 amp cord with a GFCI built it...which would make installing everything 10x easier. I haven't been able to find one anywhere :mad:

Since I can't find one (other than a 35' one for $164), I'm considering changing out the breaker, which is a lot cheaper at around $80. How do I identify what breakers my power box has in it so I can make sure I get the right size?

Usually the existing breakers have numbers and names on them. The actual panel should be labelled as well. Easy to cross reference on the net or go down to HD/Lowes and check stock.

btw - I have a 30 amp cord, but if I couldn't find one I would buy the oft mentioned pool spa breaker and add a 30 amp outlet, some 10 gauge SO cord & plug. For under $100 you should be able to build something.

I like the spa breaker option, but I'm trying to conserve some money on this build. I've got everything already but the GFCI...if worse comes to worse, that's my last option.

I bought the spa panel because it was the cheapest I could find a 50a GFCI breaker. Just so happens the breaker inside was the right style breaker for my sub-panel. So I just pulled the breaker from the spa panel and wired in a new circuit to my sub-panel. Nice and clean! Just because it includes a spa panel box doesn't mean it's not the cheapest option available. The spa panel can be had at HomeDepot for ~$50 :D

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I had the same Issue trying to find one, I realized after I found one that I wouldn't work for me anyways. :facepalm:

But If you are still looking for one I would pm snackson, he had one a couple of days ago that he was willing to sell.

bbognerks, at my HD, one of the guys in the elec dept. is a retired master electrician. He showed me the Eaton spa panel with a 50A GFI in it. It was cheaper than the GFI breaker by itself.
jdlev you could jury-rig something samc was sayin'.

Couple of options: Get this for $49.00
HomeDepot GE 50A spa panel

And wire it like one or the other of these images show:

power-panel-5.jpg

power-panel-6.jpg

The GFCI extension cord is made by a company called Friesen Electric.

Email [email protected] or [email protected] and they will put one up on ebay. Mine was $77 a year and a half ago. 17' long, 4 prong dryer outlet, 30A.

When I was looking for one a week ago, I called them, they told me that they were out of stock, and did not know if they could get anymore.

petey_c said:
bbognerks, at my HD, one of the guys in the elec dept. is a retired master electrician. He showed me the Eaton spa panel with a 50A GFI in it. It was cheaper than the GFI breaker by itself.
Isn't that exactly what I said I did? Bought the panel, pulled the breaker and put it in my sub-panel in the garage.

bbognerks, Sorry if you misunderstood. I was surprised that the whole spa panel was cheaper than just the GFI breaker alone. I just assumed that it would be more expensive.

Is there an issue with the breaker being 50 amp and the power from my breaker box is 30 amp? Will the GFI still work correctly and protect me?

The 30 amp breaker in the main panel is there for overcurrent protection. The inline GFI breaker will protect you in case of ground faults. It will work fine.

I know this is a bit off subject but does anyone know if you can use a GFI protected outlet with a welder. I ran 240 to the garage a couple of years ago for welding and want to put a GFI breaker in for brewing.

I know this is a bit off subject but does anyone know if you can use a GFI protected outlet with a welder. I ran 240 to the garage a couple of years ago for welding and want to put a GFI breaker in for brewing.
It might, but, it really depends on the way the welder is fabricated and wired. If the welder output is completely isolated from the input power it will work just fine. (Completely isolated through its transformer.)

i have this wired exactly like this and as soon as i plug my dryer back in it trips the breaker. I dunno what is wrong.

I don't believe that a dryer is supposed to be on a GFI circuit as you can get false trips. I've had my wine cooler trip a gfi circuit that is in perfect working order and fridges are also not on gfi's.

I fixed it, my dryer used to have a 3 wire plug and it was switched to 4 wire plug so it had the neutral tied to ground on the terminal block of the dryer. I disconnected it, put a wire nut on it and wrapped it in electrical tape. The heatstick and dryer work fine now.

Back