Is this Naturally Carbed? [picture]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
A Pale Ale of mine fermented for 3 wks in primary.

I racked ONE Gallon of it onto some fresh Bing Cherries for 1 week.

Went to bottle last night, and this is what I found. A really beautiful creamy frothy white head, with some visible tiny tiny bubbles.

photo%25252829%252529.JPG

My secondary is a 2 Gallon bucket with an airlock. Not sure how it could have carbed, other than from the sugars in the fruit.

Either way, I primed it with sucrose and bottled it.

Think it'll be decent? It tastes fantastic...

Thanks,
Meatwad

I find that at around 2 weeks or so, many of my beers have some noticeable carbonation straight out of the carboy. The airlock creates just enough pressure to trap some of it in solution. It's not hugely surprising this would have happened with the secondary fermentation from the sugars in the fruit. Pretty cool though!

If you tasted it, you tell us if it was carbonated.

haha...great point. I tasted it...and it was just super super faintly carbed. Almost undetectable. But it TASTED amazing. Turned out way better than I anticipated.

I really just wanted to drink it out of the secondary and not even bottle/carb it...but I stuck to my plan and primed it up anyway

As was mentioned.it's trapped co2,albeit a bit more than normal. You were right to prime it before bottling. It does look purty...& a cherry IPA? That's a new one on me,sounds interesting.

Back