The "dog" name in breweries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this is the right category to post this in but...

Do dogs have symbolism pertaining to beer? I have noticed a lot of breweries have "dog" in their names such as...

Hair of the Dog
Flying Dog
Dogfish Head
LuckyLabs
Laughing Dog
Thirsty Dog
Sea Dog

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a special meaning...

This has been discussed before, but I'm glad you noticed it as well. A lot of people associate things their interested in with brewing. A lot of homebrewers do it too, with names and bottle labels. I for one don't think looking at the slobbering mug of a dog is all that appealing on a beer bottle. I like cats but I'm not going to stick their face on a beer bottle.

This has been discussed before, but I'm glad you noticed it as well. A lot of people associate things their interested in with brewing. A lot of homebrewers do it too, with names and bottle labels. I for one don't think looking at the slobbering mug of a dog is all that appealing on a beer bottle. I like cats but I'm not going to stick their face on a beer bottle.

So you aren't a fan of Moose Drool ?

I remember hearing about John Maier from Rogue paying multiple health department fines for having his dog "Brewer" in the brewery.

Back