Keezer Hinge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The freezer that I recently bought is a whirlpool and has a hinge on the inside of the freezer. The lid to the freezer connects on the inside, so my question is how do I convert the freezer to a keezer. My brewing buddy says I need to figure out the hinge issue before I proceed. If it had an external hinge it would be no issue, but I am wondering how to go around the inside hinge issue.
:mug:

This might be a good case for attaching a tower or coffin box to the lid instead of a collar. Another idea is to build a wedge style collar so that you have a surface to mount the faucets to in the front, but the back hinge stays exactly where it is.

I am wondering if I could just remove the hinge from the inside and purchase some type of hinge to screw into the freezer and the lid.

This might be a good case for attaching a tower or coffin box to the lid instead of a collar. Another idea is to build a wedge style collar so that you have a surface to mount the faucets to in the front, but the back hinge stays exactly where it is.

Hmm - wish I'd thought of that!

A pic would help, but why can't you just mount the hinge to the inside of a collar?

i bought extra hinges during my build for extra stability. just google freezer hinges and there is a site that has all kind of hinges for all kinds of freezers. You could pick out a set that you could convert to a rear mounting hinge.

The problem here lies that when you attach the hinges to another part of the freezer they will need to go into a sturdy piece of the freezer no just the thin metal wall. Also, you will need to make sure you don/t hit any of the important cooling or electrical when you start tapping a place for the new hinges.

SHare a pic with the goup. Someone should be able ot help you out on here. Id say you should stick with the kind of hinges you have and work around it. Also, be flexible during your build. If you have a concrete plan and come across obsticles you'll get pretty flexible. Check out my build.

has anyone ever tried a wedge coller...I'm wondering if anyone has resolved this yet...?

a wedge collar will leave an uneven top, which would remove a lot of usable surface for placing beers, glasses, etc.

Back