American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, i made the AG version of this last night. I didn't check my pre-boil gravity cause swmbo was rushing me along. Anyhow, I ended up w/ a final grav into fermenter at 1.070 !? I am not sure what happened here. (puts my effeciency over 100%) I may have put in the wrong amounts of grain, but i doubt it... I double check everything. The candi sugar turned out a bit lighter, but oh well. I made some beer. I will check back in and let u guys know how it turns out in a bit.

Whoa?! Broken hydrometer, maybe? I don't see how it could come out that high. Even if you made a whole 2 lb batch of candi syrup and added that, I don't think you could hit 1.070. You'll have to watch out for this one!:drunk::D

ok, i made the AG version of this last night. I didn't check my pre-boil gravity cause swmbo was rushing me along. Anyhow, I ended up w/ a final grav into fermenter at 1.070 !? I am not sure what happened here. (puts my effeciency over 100%) I may have put in the wrong amounts of grain, but i doubt it... I double check everything. The candi sugar turned out a bit lighter, but oh well. I made some beer. I will check back in and let u guys know how it turns out in a bit.

Was your final volume right... too much boil off maybe?
Did you take the hydro reading at the proper temp, spin it to loosen air bubbles, etc.?
Did you have too much homebrew during the event, and not realize the hydro sample wasn't enough to float... j/k :D

Regardless, I bet it turns out great!

final volume was 5 gallons.. dead on... I used irish moss for the first time and didn't let it settle enough after cooling before it went into the carboy... maybe all the trub made the hydrometer mess up. Hydro is fine... I spun it, it was pretty clsoe to 60 degrees. I dunno, but I will keep you updated. We are bubbling awa y right now.

Yeasties pitched. After the rave reviews the ESB received, I'm looking forward to spreading a bit of this one around in 8 weeks or so.

Brian I gotta say, you write some mean ad copy to promote your recipes. After reading the description of this one, I felt like making up a sign and marching up and down the street.

If I had it do do over again - and I probably will - I would make up the sugar syrup ahead of time. I almost ran out of time in the boil before it was ready. But everything worked out OK.

ok, am I reading this correctly:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

Thirty days on the trub? then only 7 in the secondary, then how long in the bottle? at what temp do you suggest?

Yep, you were reading it correctly. Wait at least 3 weeks after bottling before you start really going at it. Once bottled, 65-70 degrees is a good temp to store it.

Well, it's been six weeks since I brewed this recipe. It went from primary to keg after 3 weeks (would've waited 4, but needed primary for another brew), and it's been on gas for 3 weeks (1 at 65, and 2 at serving temps). I had 2 or 3 of these over the weekend, and I really like the way it turned out. The caramelized sugar adds a nice faint prune taste that goes really well with Chinook's unique bitterness. I was afraid it might be too sweet for me, but it's not at all.

The thing that sold me on trying this recipe (other than the coolness factor of making the syrup) was the first pic posted in the tulip glass. I will say this is the prettiest beer I've brewed. The color came out just as advertised, and the lacing is nice and creamy. I'm anxious to serve it to some guests we're having over this Friday, and I think the wife's going to give me some huge props when she tries this.

Thanks King!:rockin:

Well, as with several of my other brews, after the initial gallon or so, the hop contribution is severely diminished. I served this to some company over the weekend and it got good reviews. They agreed it had a faint raisin note and was really smooth, but didn't get much in the way of hops. I agreed that the hop flavor was really hard to pick up, whereas only a week ago it was the perfect combo.

I posted this problem in another thread (for a pale ale) and the recommendation was made that I dry hop. That made just the difference I was looking for. I'm wondering if some Chinook dry hops would bring this one back, or if that's overkill for this style. I know it's not particularly a hop forward recipe, but I'd like to get some of it back. I've never dry hopped with Chinook, but I think others do. Any thoughts?

Well, as with several of my other brews, after the initial gallon or so, the hop contribution is severely diminished. I served this to some company over the weekend and it got good reviews. They agreed it had a faint raisin note and was really smooth, but didn't get much in the way of hops. I agreed that the hop flavor was really hard to pick up, whereas only a week ago it was the perfect combo.

I posted this problem in another thread (for a pale ale) and the recommendation was made that I dry hop. That made just the difference I was looking for. I'm wondering if some Chinook dry hops would bring this one back, or if that's overkill for this style. I know it's not particularly a hop forward recipe, but I'd like to get some of it back. I've never dry hopped with Chinook, but I think others do. Any thoughts?

I think some chinook would be really good dry-hopped in this recipe. Give it a shot and let me know how it works!

The thing that sold me on trying this recipe (other than the coolness factor of making the syrup) was the first pic posted in the tulip glass. I will say this is the prettiest beer I've brewed. The color came out just as advertised, and the lacing is nice and creamy.
Thanks King!:rockin:

^^^ this
Can't say enough good things about it. Going to be a sad day when the keg runs dry. Guess that means I need to make more.

By the way, I did try dry hopping for a few days with Chinook, and it did bring a bit of citrus back into play. With or without it, I'm really pleased with the recipe.

I am looking forward to trying this one...

I am going to be substituting some NZ Nelson Sauvin hops for the Chinook hops (the LHBS was out of Chinook) and I am looking forward to the play of the sugar syrup with these hops. No one in the area has tried them so I am looking forward to the adventure and thought this would be a great recipe for them :)

Well guys, I have been drinking my "high octane" version for a few days now... I am VERY pleased with how it turned out. There is a great balance between the sweetness and the hops, and it all shadows the high alcohol that I got (7.58%). I will be making this again for sure. I have let a few others taste this and they agree that I could sell it for at least $10 a six pack lol. Thanx alot :)

I'll be remaking this one Friday after my previous fiasco caused by a faulty thermometer (and me not checking it).

Looks like my ingredients are on a local FedEx truck to be delivered today so its coming together for a fun brew day tomorrow. Tonight, I'll be making the candi.

I bottled this today. This went from OG=1.052 to FG=1.008, so this tastes pretty dry at this point. I can see it as a great summer refresher with the pine and citrus notes. Obviously I'll have to brew it again in April.

King, you should know that I got my first homebrew-hand-slap last night because of this ale. I had just poured me a glass and taken a sip when the wife asked what I was drinking. I hand it to her for a sample. She'd already tried it before, but it's changed a bit since then, so again I ask her what she thinks. Her response:

"It's really good. It's my favorite one you've made so far."

I acknowledge that I like it too and reach for another sip. That's when it came out of nowhere... my reach was interrupted with a HOMEBREW-HAND-SLAP!!! She picks up the glass, takes another sip and says

"Really. It's good. You should pour you one."

and walks away smiling.:eek:

King, you should know that I got my first homebrew-hand-slap last night because of this ale. I had just poured me a glass and taken a sip when the wife asked what I was drinking. I hand it to her for a sample. She'd already tried it before, but it's changed a bit since then, so again I ask her what she thinks. Her response:

"It's really good. It's my favorite one you've made so far."

I acknowledge that I like it too and reach for another sip. That's when it came out of nowhere... my reach was interrupted with a HOMEBREW-HAND-SLAP!!! She picks up the glass, takes another sip and says

"Really. It's good. You should pour you one."

and walks away smiling.:eek:

Haha, sounds like a kind of bittersweet situation. I'm glad she likes it but there's gonna be less for you!:D

Definitely going to try this one tonight if my local brew store has all the ingredients. will report back and since I am new at this will likely have lots to report. this will also be my first batch with all grain. wish me luck.

Definitely going to try this one tonight if my local brew store has all the ingredients. will report back and since I am new at this will likely have lots to report. this will also be my first batch with all grain. wish me luck.

First AG, nice. I'm sure it will be great.

Welcome to the site, btw!:mug:

thanks and for the record, my husband and I love amber ales...pretty much all we drink so you have a new fan for sure.

Nice, be sure to report back. I let it go a month in primary then racked to secondary with some gelatin and left it there for a week before kegging.

how much gelatin did you add to this? I know this is an old post but I would like to try making this soon.

how much gelatin did you add to this? I know this is an old post but I would like to try making this soon.

I always just use one of the knox packets. It's probably overkill but I don't like to waste stuff and don't want to store the rest of the packet once it's open.

I was about to place an order for a Scottish ale recipe but decided I'll try this one. Quick question for you though, how do you think it would be on nitrogen? I can run either CO2 or nitrogen with my kegerator setup and would really appreciate your input on what would be better.

Ok, bear with me here guys. I don't know why I am struggling with this but please help me out. This the the recipe for the caramel.

Deep Amber (290F)
-Deep amber with full red colors. Raisins and plums are the dominant flavors with a hint of toast and coffee. Some rummy and mildly woody flavors. Strong complex caramels are present. It is a sophisticated sweetness with a robust, full characteristic. This is my favorite.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
2 – 1/2 tsp DAP
1 – 1/2 Cup Water

So to get this right, for this recipe I add 1 pound of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 1/4 tsp DAP. Bring this to a boil over medium heat until it hits the 290degF where I slowly stir in 3/4 cup of water, then dump it directly into the wort with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Do I have that right? Seems too simple, that is why I am struggling.

Ok, bear with me here guys. I don't know why I am struggling with this but please help me out. This the the recipe for the caramel.

Deep Amber (290F)
-Deep amber with full red colors. Raisins and plums are the dominant flavors with a hint of toast and coffee. Some rummy and mildly woody flavors. Strong complex caramels are present. It is a sophisticated sweetness with a robust, full characteristic. This is my favorite.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
2 – 1/2 tsp DAP
1 – 1/2 Cup Water

So to get this right, for this recipe I add 1 pound of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 1/4 tsp DAP. Bring this to a boil over medium heat until it hits the 290degF where I slowly stir in 3/4 cup of water, then dump it directly into the wort with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Do I have that right? Seems too simple, that is why I am struggling.

You've got it, it really is that simple!:D

EDIT: And oh, feel free to make it beforehand. It will store for a while. That will keep things less hectic on brewday.

Thanks King. It just seems too easy....

What is your opinion of putting this beer through a nitrogen tap? I have both a CO2 and Nitrogen setup. Which way do you think would come out better?

I know it's good on CO2 but I bet it would be really good on nitro too. The nitro would probably mute the hops but perhaps accentuate the malt and make it much creamier. You could always put it on nitro and if you don't like it, move it over to pure CO2 and let it carb up fully. I do that often.

I know it's good on CO2 but I bet it would be really good on nitro too. The nitro would probably mute the hops but perhaps accentuate the malt and make it much creamier. You could always put it on nitro and if you don't like it, move it over to pure CO2 and let it carb up fully. I do that often.

Great points. I am still new to the nitrogen setup (I have a beer in the primary that will be my first nitro brew).

Since you talked about "balance" in the original post, think I should add some extra hops to balance it out with the muted hops of the nitro setup?

What happened with the candi syrup?

Yeah. Meant candi syrup. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet this morning.

I only used 1/2 pound of sugar since I didn't really know what I was doing or have a thermometer, and incase I screwed it up it'll still be drinkable.

Great points. I am still new to the nitrogen setup (I have a beer in the primary that will be my first nitro brew).

Since you talked about "balance" in the original post, think I should add some extra hops to balance it out with the muted hops of the nitro setup?

I wouldn't change the hops.

Yeah. Meant candi syrup. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

That's what I figured. I mean what happened to it for it to be burnt?

Oh, got'cha. I wasn't able to cool it down as fast as I wanted and it got a little too dark. Still might get some good flavor out of it. I tasted the fork that I was using to stir every once in a while and it was pretty good.

Oh, got'cha. I wasn't able to cool it down as fast as I wanted and it got a little too dark. Still might get some good flavor out of it. I tasted the fork that I was using to stir every once in a while and it was pretty good.

Oh ok, good. I was worried it had scorched or something. Getting a little too dark won't hurt the beer, it may just alter the composition of flavors a little. I'm sure it will be great.

Back