Is my LHBS completely crazy (Arrogant Bastard recipe)???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Hey everybody, the SWMBO was driving by the beer store while I was working today and offered to pick up supplies for me if I needed them. I told her to find out if they had an Arrogant Bastard clone and if so to go ahead and buy the Partial Mash kit.

Well, she did and these are the instructions they gave her (printed out) for me to follow.

1. Bring 2-3 gallons of water to boil
2. Add grains
3. Add bittering hops
4. Boil for 20 minutes
5. Remove grains
6. Turn off heat and add extract
7. Add light brown sugar
8. Boil for 10 minutes
9. Add flavoring hops
10. Boil for 10 minutes
11. Turn off heat and add finishing hops
12. Cool wort
13. Fill to 5 gallon mark with water
14. Add fermenting hops
Then proceed to take gravity and add yeast

Well, all I can say is WTF! I know the kid she bought it from as I've met him before and he's barely old enough to drink beer in the first place and from talking to him he didn't really understand the process of brewing. This is actually his recipe that the LHBS printed out to sell with this kit to people asking for Arrogent Bastard!

So, with base grains in the recipe, why in the world would I want to boil my water to add these grains to and 20 minutes doesnt sound healthy either. Then he adds the bittering hops before the extract and boils it for 20 minutes. Next he says to add brown sugar but none is included and recipe doesn't even include it or how much of it. The total boil is 20 minutes, and then after topping with water, I add fermenting hops??? I've never heard of fermenting hops, I've dry hopped my IPA but that was after fermentation was complete.

I honestly don't think this place has a clue what they're talking about and am thinking about taking it all back because this also raises serious doubts in my mind about the recipe itself (which I'll gladly post if anyone needs to see it). It doesn't look anything like other Arrogant Bastard recipes I've seen and it might still turn out ok but nothing like an Arrogant Bastard which is what I wanted. But, let me know what you think. I could try this kit out, but use more conventional PM methods I've seen talked about everywhere else. Or I could take it all back and try again:mad::confused::mad:

:confused:Tell me what you guys think of this recipe of a supposed Arrogant Bastard from my LHBS

1 lb - British 2-row
.25 lb - cara-pils malt
.5 lb - medium crystal malt
1 lb - 6-row
.5 lb - Maris Otter
.25 - Aromatic malt

7 lb Light Malt extract (liquid)

1oz - Chinook (bittering)
.5 oz - Cluster (bittering)
.5 oz - Northern (flavoring)
.5 oz - Perle hops (flavoring)
.5 oz - Northern (finishing)
.5 oz - Perle hops (finishing)

The instructions are absolutely ridiculous. They tell me to boil my grains at the beginning in 2-3 gallons of water and at the same time add my bittering hops and boil both for 20 minutes. Then add my LME and then boil for 20 more minutes with hop additions at the ten and zero minute mark. Then, after everything is done and topped off with cooling water in the bucket add fermenting hops (WTF is a fermenting hop!) and then add yeast.

This makes absolutely no sense to me and it defies the limited brewing logic I have acquired so far.

So, are these guys nuts or what??!?:mad:

So your supposed to boil the grains for 20 minutes? Bad idea. Maybe he borrowed that technique from Alton Brown. I'd like to see the entire recipe, but this was clearly formulated by someone who knows very little about brewing.

So your supposed to boil the grains for 20 minutes? Bad idea. Maybe he borrowed that technique from Alton Brown. I'd like to see the entire recipe, but this was clearly formulated by someone who knows very little about brewing.

Yeah, I know. This makes me frightened to even try the recipe out at all. And for $63 (including dry yeast) this ain't exactly cheap. But, here it is

1 lb - British 2-row
.25 lb - cara-pils malt
.5 lb - medium crystal malt
1 lb - 6-row
.5 lb - Maris Otter
.25 - Aromatic malt

7 lb Light Malt extract (liquid)

1oz - Chinook (bittering)
.5 oz - Cluster (bittering)
.5 oz - Northern (flavoring)
.5 oz - Perle hops (flavoring)
.5 oz - Northern (finishing)
.5 oz - Perle hops (finishing)

I don't think this looks exactly what I was expecting for an Arrogant Bastard. I'm all about experimentation, but definitely not sure about this

The one thing that sticks out to me is the "boiling grains" part. You dont boil them, but maybe they meant to steep them. :confused:

Boiling your grains? From the recipe, it looks like a mini-mash. You've got 2.5lb of base malts (MO, 2-row, and 6-row) and about 1lb of other malts...

I don't think this will taste anything like Arrogant Bastard. The hops are all Chinook in ABA, I think. And if your "Medium Crystal" isn't about 120L or even Special B (which are both technically "Dark Crystal"), your beer will end up too light, IMO.

Were it my money (which it isn't), I'd either buy an established ABA kit from an online (or another) homebrew store or assemble one from the clone recipes posted all over the interwebs. I would not spend another dime in the store unless the guy telling you this was no longer employed there or was just "new" and didn't know any better.

My 2 cents.

That recipe is not even close.

Try this. I have made this recipe and it is spot on.

1 1/2 pounds of 120L crystal

10 1/2 pounds of Liquid Amber Extract

Bittering hops (60min): 2 1/2 oz Chinook
Flavoring hops (last 15): 3/4 oz Chinook
Aroma hops (last 5): 3/4 oz Chinook

White Labs California
or
Wyeast 1056
or
US-05

It is really that simple.

Forrest

White Labs California
or
Wyeast 1056
or
US-05

Forrest

That looks a lot more like what I was going for.

White Labs California
or
Wyeast 1056
or
US-05

Forrest

If you have the makings already, I think you could mini-mash and have an interesting beer. Not AB, but definitely a big malty, hoppy thing.

Looks like a collision between a Scottish Ale and a Left Coast IPA. I have a similar recipe called "Stiffy". If you use standard PM procedures, it will brew up fine. But it won't be anything like AB.

Looks like a collision between a Scottish Ale and a Left Coast IPA. I have a similar recipe called "Stiffy". If you use standard PM procedures, it will brew up fine. But it won't be anything like AB.

Could you describe your beer to me? Still just wondering if I should go ahead with this and see how it turns out compared to an AB

Wow...I'm living in Houston temporarily and have to ask what store this was so I don't accidentally buy anything from them. :D

If you go anywhere near NASA that's the one. I'm trying to be nice and not call them out but if you are in that area, let me know and I will ;)

Could you describe your beer to me? Still just wondering if I should go ahead with this and see how it turns out compared to an AB

Compared to ABA, it won't be anything like it... The hops are different, the malts are different, the extract you'll use is too light, the color will be wrong, etc. In short, if you want ABA, either buy another kit, buy the recipe Forrest gave you, or buy some of the real thing at the store. If you can take the stuff your wife bought back, do so.

Brewingnetwork.com did a can you brew it show where the spoke with mitch and he gave many 'hints' to clone it
GL

Could you describe your beer to me?

Not trying to speak for david here, but what he's referring to is standard partial mash procedures. Essentially mashing the grains and adding the extract and hops at the appropriate times during the boil. You can use the ingredients you have but ignore the instructions. It won't be Arrogant Bastard, but may end up being a decent brew.

Granted it has been a while since I have done an anything with extract, but I feel like you are getting hosed on the price.

Dry yeast works super well unless you need a specific strain in which case check out how to wash yeast.

If you like hoppy beer or plan on brewing a lot, check out getting your hops in bulk. I use hopsdirect.com

Good luck!

$4/lb for LME

$4.38/oz for cluster hops,northern hops, perle hops

grains vary from $1.75 to $2.08 per lb for grains:(

That's not awful I suppose. My LHBS charges about $5/pound for dry extract, $4/oz. for hop pellets, and $2-$2.50 per pound for grains. They can't compete with alot of online suppliers, but you pay for convenience (and no shipping charges of course). Your recipe would probably make a decent beer so maybe it's worth a try. Just ignore the instructions and never buy recipe kits from that supplier again.

If you decide to make the beer (why not, you already have it) soak the grains in a sock with about 5 L of water at about 160 degrees. Allow to soak for about an hour (this will be your mini mash). remove the sock and allow to drain. Wash with the remaining water you want to boil. Boil with half of the extract with whatever hopping you want to do. Add the rest of the extract at the end of the boil and do your usual cooling techniques. It won't be anywhere close to AB, but it will probably still be good beer.

Back