Bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdewd

Reaction score
I am looking for some glass bottles but not sure which kind i should get or from were for that matter. I will be ordering online since there isnt a Brew store within 100 miles of me *U.P. of michigan...*

which type or size would you guys recommend, i will also be ordering a capping machine as well.

using a mr beer kit so only need enough bottles for 2gallons of beer, but i will be upgrading to 5gallons batches soon, probably in the winter.

thanks in advance :mug::D

Any pop-top/pry off (not screw off) type beer bottles work. I would suggest you go buy a case of your favorite beer that comes in nice brown bottles that are pry-off. Save on shipping, plus they come with beer inside. Bonus!

Also, I really like my bench capper. Several friends borrowed it once to try it out, and subsequently went out and bought their own. Personal opinion - spend the extra 20 or whatever on the bench capper.

I love my bench capper. It will cap twist offs, no problem. I broke a few bottle necks with the wing capper that came in my kit.

mod edit- this thread was broken off another thread, to keep the conversation going.

Any pop-top/pry off (not screw off) type beer bottles work. I would suggest you go buy a case of your favorite beer that comes in nice brown bottles that are pry-off. Save on shipping, plus they come with beer inside. Bonus!

Also, I really like my bench capper. Several friends borrowed it once to try it out, and subsequently went out and bought their own. Personal opinion - spend the extra 20 or whatever on the bench capper.

I was thinking the same thing.
Buying empty bottles?
...use old beer bottles.
...and drink the beer!
And I love my 'bench capper' too.

J. Knife

Where are you? I have some bottles you can have.

Or, buy a case of Sam Adams or even Grolsch. Those bottles are great for reusing! The Grolsch especially- you don't even need a capper. You can just reclose the ceramic caps. It's nice to buy extra rubber grommets for the lids, though, if you can.

Costco has half liter flip tops (Grolsch style but brown) for $24.99 including shipping plus you get 60 carbonation drops.

I was paying $3.49 to $3.99 for a half liter of Schwarzbier, Helles, Dunkel, Hefe-Weizen, or Doppelbock. I was ok with the beers, but I grew tired of inconsistency of the Helles and Hefe-Weizen, the darker beers handled the transit from Bavaria better, and I am more of an Export / Pils guy anyway.

Cost analysis of Costco / Brewcraft: $24.99 / 12 = 2.08
Half liter can of Bitburger: $1.25 + .05 deposit
Total = $3.38 ( i never take cans or six packs back, only cases, so the nickel is lost)
Carbonation drops are around a nickel each, so $3.33 is fair as well.

For me it makes sense to buy the bottles this way. I want the half liter and not 12oz. size since I have fewer to fill this way. I do not want to deal with a capper and caps and throwing away caps.

If you do not have or do not know someone with a Costco membership willing to order for you, be careful buying online from ebayers or stores with high shipping costs.

Where are you? I have some bottles you can have.

Or, buy a case of Sam Adams or even Grolsch. Those bottles are great for reusing! The Grolsch especially- you don't even need a capper. You can just reclose the ceramic caps. It's nice to buy extra rubber grommets for the lids, though, if you can.

Da soo

im going to look for some Grolsch, i have a huge Grolsch bottle in my basement like a 2-3 foot tall bottle would be fun to fill lol, but if i cant find any on the states side there's always canada

well i did a little digging in my basement and found 2 1.5L swing top grolsch bottles and 7 of the smaller 16oz bottles that i had brought home from montreal. unable to find the huge 2-3 footer but i think these bottles should be enough for 2 gallons of beer.

now all i need to do is find some gaskets for the 1.5L and for the smaller bottles

Latest posts

Back