Where can i get rhyzomes?Right now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_clean

Reaction score
I know its out of season,but anyone know where i can get some.I need centennial,and Galena

You won't find them now.

this

usually have to preorder and you'll get them around spring time.

OT, but i just came from marietta oh like 3 weeks ago. interesting town, some sorta corn festival was going down. i was a little upset that he brewery i went to didn't have anything other than a horrible sour porter (and i love porters) and a raspberry wheat. i was looking forward to their scotch ale :(

Hop rhizomes can only be harvested in the Spring. Anything that would be available now has been sitting in someone's warehouse for 4-5 months.

I have some cascades that you could get clippings from, but it's late in the year to plant. not sure how to safely get them there or how you could take care of them once you got them.

It'd be futile to get rhizomes now, as they wouldn't start growing until spring anyways. Or, if they did grow, they'd get maybe a foot tall before they died off for winter.

This is the only posting I know of that still has any rhizomes at all.

Fresh Hop Rhizome Plants for Growing Hops at Home

I bought 3 in June, they sent me 5, and all grew. The best is about 8 inches tall now. I fancy that I got a bit of a head start on next year. If you were going to keep them inside under a grow light you might gain some ground. However, Mt Hood is a Hallertauer clone. Centennial is entirely unrelated, being mostly a Brewer's Gold/Fuggles/Golding cross, and Cascade is unrelated too, being a Fuggles offspring, as detailed here:

USDA Named Hop Variety Descriptions

OT, but i just came from marietta oh like 3 weeks ago. interesting town, some sorta corn festival was going down. i was a little upset that he brewery i went to didn't have anything other than a horrible sour porter (and i love porters) and a raspberry wheat. i was looking forward to their scotch ale :(

I was at the Marietta Brewing Company in June, they seem to be a bit off on their brewing quality...we tried several of their brews and most seemed soured or phenolic. I do like their scotch ale, but it is never available.

Back